Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Maui-need suggestions for Dinne show and snorkling please

Feb 1st, 2003, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I am taking my 10 year old daughter on her first trip to Maui.

We would like to go to a dinner show. We are thinking of Black Rock Illusion or Warren and Annabelle's Magic. Any suggestions on what one is better?

We would also like to try snorkling. We are thinking about going to Molokini. Any suggestions on what Charter would be good for us?

Thank you!
Feb 1st, 2003, 01:47 PM

My husband and I went to the Warren & Annabelle show in September of last year. It was great, however, I believe it is only open to those 21 and over. It is a night club atmosphere and I don't think appropriate for a 10 year old. Hope that helps.
Feb 1st, 2003, 02:33 PM

Check if Warren and Annabelles is still doing an earlier 'family' show. The evening show is 21 and over only (not because of content but because they serve alcohol). Otherwise, I think your daughter would enjoy it.
Feb 1st, 2003, 07:08 PM

Warren & Annabelle's offers a "family show". Think it's done only on certain days and much earlier than the adult show. Black Rock Illusions is no more.
Molokini is good. But try heading down to La Perouse. It's kind of a rocky entrance but it's GREAT snorkeling.....and free!
Feb 2nd, 2003, 12:22 PM

I would take a snorkel trip, since it will be your daughters first time. Then, if you enjoy it, you can rent some equipment and get a snorkel map from the shop and do some shore snorkeling on your own. We had a great time doing that. The molikini trip is nice, you should get breakfast on the boat on the ride out to the crater, and lunch on the way back in. A very nice day. I don't remember who we went with (it was 6yrs ago), but we left from Lahaina. Have a great vacation!
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:20 PM

As for the snorkle trip look at (Activity warehouse) i used these people and booked my trip on the (four winds) before i left home.Snorkleing is fun but somewhat dangerous and the boats watch out for you. A very nice place to snorkle for free is black rock , in front of the sheraton hotel and there are shops and restaurants.
As for a dinner show take your daughter to the old lahina luau its very nice and interactive. nick
Feb 5th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Lucky You! Went to Maui last summer for our honeymoon and it was AMAZING!

We did go to Annabel and Warren's. Some advice - DO NOT get the dinner . The food was terrible and expensive. It is a 2 part show (1. Annabel and 2. Warren). The first part was kind of lame for us (we are in our late 20's), but might be more fun for a 10 year old. The second 1/2 was great (Warren).

Hope my advice helps......
Feb 6th, 2003, 08:39 AM

In Nov we did the Four Winds trip to Molokini with our kids who were 8 & 12 at the time. It was a really fun trip. Plenty of food and drink. Super nice crew and captain. They all treated the kids really nice. The captain lets the younger kids 10 & under steer the boat which they boys really got a kick out of. The boat is huge and there is plenty of room for everyone. It does not feel crowded at all. We sat up top on the side.

We thought Black Rock was ok for snorkeling but a much better spot is at Ulua Beach near the Renaissance. Fish were great here. Saw schools of fish and a zebra eel and a sea snake.
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:50 AM

We have been to Maui twice. We went with Bossfrogs snorkeling Molokini. It was fun, but last year we went to Lanai (an all day snorkeling trip) with Paragon and it was SUPER! It was around $130 (we booked online and it was a little cheaper) compared w/$60 on Bossfrogs (half day). Definelty worth every penny. We went in April of last year and had spinner dolphins leading us. We also came VERY close to a mother whale and her baby. It was soooo neat. Paragon was much more professional and we would pay the money again when we return. Did not see any shows. Have a super time