Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Going to Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/going-to-maui-355038/)

jjbell May 5th, 2008 11:34 AM

Going to Maui

Our family is planning a trip mid-June and we were wondering if anyone could give us ideas about activities our 4yr old would enjoy. Thanks in advance.

jjbell May 5th, 2008 11:42 AM

Also, if anyone can suggest restaurants? Thanks

suze May 5th, 2008 11:57 AM

What part of the island are you staying?

jjbell May 5th, 2008 12:17 PM

Ka'anapali, but we are big drivers so we are up for anything, anywhere on island.

offlady May 5th, 2008 12:29 PM

For 4-year old - Maui Ocean Center and the Sports Park next door. The sports park has rubber boats with water pistols that are fun for all ages. The Lahaina-Kaanapali Sugar Cane train ride. Surfing Goat Dairy in Kula is also a great place for kids. I think they have a tour only on Saturdays but you can stop by any day.

suze May 5th, 2008 12:29 PM

I like the town of Lahaina for walking around. And I like Aloha Mixed Plate (patio restaurant lcoated near the mall & where Old Lahaina luau takes place).

Kerry392 May 5th, 2008 04:19 PM

Aloha Mixed Plate- Yummy!! The wait is definitley worth it.

A walk around Lahaina would be perfect. Let your child explore the banyan tree!

Odin May 5th, 2008 10:05 PM

Disagree about Aloha Mixed Plate, the food is really not good.

Attnymom May 6th, 2008 04:52 AM

Our daughter loved the aquarium in Maui when she was about that age. (I think it is called the Maui Ocean Center as referenced above). As for meals, we always hit Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina - it is very kid friendly. In a real pinch, there is a McD's in Whaler's Village (also an ice cream store).

golpher May 6th, 2008 02:42 PM

Go to Bubba Gump's in Lahaina. It's right on the water and watching some of the families, they seemed to love the atmosphere.

yellowrose22 May 7th, 2008 03:59 PM

MAUI MENEHUNE GOLF
19 Hole Miniature Golf Course
(All Ages)
32A Lono Ave.
Kahului, HI 96732

suze May 7th, 2008 04:03 PM

Odin~
Since you did not care for Aloha Mixed Plate, can you offer an alternate suggestion for an outdoor restaurant with a view, that serves Hawaiian food at a reasonable prices?

offlady May 8th, 2008 11:04 AM

There is a miniature golf course at the Sports Park in Maalaea (next to the Maui Ocean Cener), one in Lahaina, and one in Honokowai on the rooftop of the Embassy Suites hotel. You don't need to be a hotel guest to play the course, just a small fee for the club rental & golf ball that you pay for at the snack shop. They used to charge only $2 before but I don't know what it is now. The one in Lahaina is a Glow-Putt (glow in the dark) with bells and lights which should be fun for youngsters.

Odin May 17th, 2008 03:10 AM

suze-Aloha Mixed Plate certainly serves Hawaiian food with a view and the cost is low but the quality is very poor, quantity high. We were there earlier this month, one dish was reheated, was half cold and half hot, the other dish was ribs which smelt great but were inedible since they were so tough. Based on this experience I can't recommend it.