Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Grand Canyon North Rim 2 days, then Bryce (or Zion)

Notices

Old Sep 11th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going the last week of September, learned that the temps in Bryce and the Grand Canyon will be fine, likely 70's, however if I squeeze in Zion it will be almost 100 the day I can make it. Think I will skip, does not sound like much fun (not for me).

SO - what is a must see or do in the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for 1.5 days (2 nights in park) and for just a very short day in Bryce? Is there any point in arriving at 2 pm and then leave next morning (striving to get a room in the park).

Almost 6 hour drive from North Rim to Bryce, however should be worth it; then from Bryce to St. George less than 2.5 hours.

Insights are appreciated!
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 02:03 PM
J62

Not sure where you are getting your forecast from - no 15-20d long range forecast is accurate anywhere, and 100 in Zion at the end of Sept - not likely. On weather.com, the 10 day forecast is showing daily highs in the 70s, and the all time record highs for the end of Sept are below 90. Near 100 would break records by 10 degrees.

By the end of Sept you should be prepared for overnight/morning low around freezing temps at both GC and Bryce, so dress accordingly.

Regardless, Zion is one of my all time favorite places anywhere. If you can spend a day or more there then by all means do so. You won't be disappointed.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Do not cut out Zion. Add it into the mix. You will have a great trip.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM

Accuweather.com has an extended forecast for Zion showing highs in the upper 90s to 100 from 9/21 to 9/26. After that it cools off considerably. Normal highs for late September should be lower to mid 80s. Weather.com is showing daily highs from 83 to 89 for the next 10 days - through the 20th.

If you don't want to deal with uppers 90's for a temp, then make two plans - get a room at Bryce and one in Springdale and simply cancel one when you begin your trip. By the time you get to the North Rim the forecast for Zion should be pretty accurate and then you can make a good decision about where to go (Bryce or Zion).

If you can't get a room inside Bryce, just book something outside the park. There are some choices right outside the park and it is not a long drive to get to the main viewpoints.

Also, I don't know where you are coming from to get to the North Rim...but if you are driving from the west you are likely taking a route that goes through Zion. Likewise, from Bryce to St. George you would likely go through Zion again. So even if you don't spend a night you could set aside a few hours to do some hiking (assuming it is not too hot for your taste).

If it was me doing this and the high temps are going to be upper 90's, I'd probably try to drive through Zion in the morning going to the North Rim and stop to do a hike or two. Then do the same thing on your drive from Bryce to St. George. Morning temps will be more comfortable and you can still see some of Zion without devoting an afternoon and overnight to it.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 03:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm asking the same question - what's your route to the North Rim? I think I'd try to squeeze them both in (Zion and Bryce) if you can. I love the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's what I imagined a national park would be as a kid. Just lovely and much quieter than the South Rim. We were lucky and snagged a table at the window in the dining room and my favorite experience there was a ranger led night hike.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...ograms2014.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...er-program.htm
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 05:33 AM

Just returned from a canyon trip -- did the ones you mentioned and a number of others - temps were in the 70's - 80's - North Rim of the Grand Canyon is great -- foggy at times - and we did have some rain - trails can get slippery on all of these. Lodging might be a problem -- we booked our stay 12 months in advance.

We were at Zion a day after the flooding - they had closed the park the previous day and were cleaning up -- still were the day we were their.

My favorite was Bryce - gorgeous rock formations - and great hiking for all levels. I would recommend you spend some extra time at Bryce.

We also did The Arches - Canyon lands - Mesa Verde and Capitol Reef.

Absolutely great trip -- everywhere you look it is gorgeous -- you just can't take it all in -- or capture it in photos.

Have a great trip.