Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best place to stay in Cambria/Morro Bay????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Michael

We live in SF and have been all around CA except for the "lost coast" central area. We are planning a 3-4 day stay after x-mas and it sounds like Cambria and Morro Bay are good locations for Hearst Castle and nice towns.

We need a hotel which will serve as a good homebase for us. Due to some health issues, we tend to spend a fair amount of time at the hotel/B&B/etc. we are staying at, vs. just needing a place to sleep. So, can anyone recommend a really nice ($'s are not a big issue, none of the places seem to be that much) place, on or close to the water, with hot tub,fireplace is a must, ocean views, nice rooms and good location (meaning walk to or on the beach (Moonstone??), close totown (short drive is fine, walk is better).

Thank you fellow travelers!!!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Sarah

Hi Michael: You can't go wrong with the "Inn at Morro Bay" for a beautiful hotel on the ocean (more upscale than some of the others in MB). Check out their website. Also, we enjoyred our stay at the "Best Western Cavalier Oceanfront Resort" in San Simeon. It is right on the ocean as well and the restaurant on the property serves good food. They also light big bonfires at night on the expansive front lawn lining the coast which was fun. Also, Hearst Castle is right there. Have fun!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:10 PM
DeeDee

What romantic memories that brings back! I love Morro Bay! Spent the weekend there with an old boyfriend while I was in college!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Michael

Thanks for the info so far. We have focused in on Cambria however, and like the Fog Catcher Inn the best so far.....

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:24 PM
kam

I agree with Moonstone Beach, Cambria, and like the Fogcatcher as well as the Fireside Inn. Beautiful walks along the beach on the other side of the road, unobstructed views. I like Cambria better than Morro Bay, but that's nice too.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:11 PM
jan

Since money is not an issue, I would recommend the Blue Whale B & B. Full breakfast, very cozy, fireplace, etc. Fills up fast--reserve now.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:54 PM
i

Just because you've never been there doesn't make the area the "lost coast"! Hearst Castle is one of the more famous tourist attractions in the State of California.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Paula

I second the Blue Whale in Cambria on Moonstone Beach. It is the only AAA 4 star around. It only has 6 rooms, but each room is beautiful and the baths have jacuzzi tubs. There are beautiful ocean views from the living room and dining room off the lobby, but not from the rooms themselves.