Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Going to a wedding in downtown LA (Figueroa H.), where to stay?

Going to a wedding in downtown LA (Figueroa H.), where to stay?

Apr 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Going to a wedding in downtown LA (Figueroa H.), where to stay?

The wedding will be at the Figueroa Hotel, a budget hotel in downtown LA near the Staples center, during 4th of July weekend. We are planning on staying in LA only for 40 - 48 hours. The easiest thing for us to do would be to stay at the Figueroa, which is where the family is planning to stay, but I've been reading some reviews on Trip Advisor and they are awful (e.g., people can't sleep because there are no curtains on the windows). I am a very light sleeper, not noise-wise, but light-wise: I can't have any light or else I can't sleep.

How easy would it be to transport ourselves from West Hollywood or Bevery Hills to downtown LA using cabs and buses? I've heard the infamous stories of LA-traffic and given our short time in the city we don't want to waste time stuck in traffic. Also, how safe/dead at night will downtown be during a holiday weekend? Finally, does anyone have any first hand recommendations for a great place to stay in LA that would be relatively convenient to the Figueroa? Thanks.
Apr 17th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Mariarosa, there's a Vagabond Inn located at 3101 South Figueroa that may meet your needs. It's basic and clean and parking is free. There'a also a heated outdoor pool, free continental breakfast, and free morning newspaper. You should be able to get a room for about $80.00. I prefer for the room to be dark also when I am sleeping.
Apr 17th, 2004, 07:44 AM

I'd suggest staying at the Biltmore, which will give you VERY easy access. It's a historical hotel and just beautiful. The rooms are fabulous. The only downside is the cost of parking at this hotel (well, actually most hotels and parking lots in downtown LA have absurdly high prices). From there, you can either walk or take the Metro subway. The Metro is very convenient from the hotel, and you take it to Union Station (see Olvera Street) or even over to Universal Studios. You also have easy access to the Disney Hall and Music Center.

While downtown LA is generally very quiet on the weekends, it being a holiday weekend, there's probably a lot going on during the day. If you like to shop, head over to either the mall at 8th & Fig or Santee Alley.
Apr 17th, 2004, 07:46 AM

And, no, I wouldn't be walking around alone at night in downtown LA. Best to take cabs.
Apr 17th, 2004, 06:59 PM

With only 40-48 hours in L.A., I'd stay near the wedding site. Check out the Mayflower Hotel (Hilton) on Grand Avenue betw. 5th and 6th or the Marriott on Figueroa betw. 3rd and 4th. The Marriott has a nice pool area. Biltmore and Bonaventure are also good but wouldn't be my first choices. Closer to the wedding site is the Standard Hotel. Supposedly pretty hip, but it wouldn't even be on my radar if I wanted to stay downtown.

There's a lot to see downtown. The new cathedral and new Disney Concert Hall. The Museum of Contemporary Art. Little Tokyo and the Japanese American Museum. Chinatown and the Chinese American Museum. There is something happening at the Staples Center almost every night (sports, concerts).

Or you could take the Metro to Pasadena or Hollywood for a few hours one of the days. There's no need to rent a car for such a short visit.
Apr 17th, 2004, 09:08 PM

If you stay at the Renaissance Hollywood or even the Comfort Suites or Holiday Inn Highland in Hollywood, you can catch a 5 minute subway ride to downtown.
Apr 18th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

I truly appreciate all of your helpful feedback. I am glad to see that the Hilton and the Biltmore have been mentioned as we are considering those places. The Rennaissance is already booked. Another option that was thrown at me today is that some members of the party have decided to stay at the Elan Modern for all but the last nights. How is the location of the Elan? Also, we are going to dinner at the Off Vine Restaurant in Hollywood (www.offvine.com), so another option is to stay near there. Any additional comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Apr 18th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Oh my, I haven't been to the Off Vine in years -- completely forgot about that place! I enjoyed that place, if memory serves, but it isn't in the greatest location in the world. Okay, of course, if you're driving to it. I would not stay in the area, but that's my own personal paranoia -- the Hollywood area has always been, to me, cheesy. Too many bad pocket areas and druggies. Not all areas in Hollywood, mind you, but too many for me to feel particularly safe unless I'm with a bunch of people.
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:24 PM

I work in downtown L.A., and the Figueroa Hotel would not be my first choice. Depending on your budget, I would recomend the Millenium Biltmore (Grand Ave. betweek 5th and 6th), Hilton Checkers (ditto), Omni Hotel (Olive between 3rd and 4th), or Marriott (Figueroa at 2nd and 3rd).

Since you will be in L.A. for less than 48 hours, I would not recommend staying across town.

The last time I checked, the flat rate for a taxi from LAX to downtown is $30.

Woody

Search this Thread