Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to a Broadway show for the VERY 1st time!!!!!

May 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

My daughter has just given me the most wonderful Mother's Day gift. She is going to take me to NYC to see Mary Poppins on Broadway. I am sooo excited but need help figuring out where we should stay. Any hotel help would be appreciated. We will not be staying long but plan to go in the middle of the week in June for 2 or 3 days. Do we want to stay near the Amsterdam Theatre or near shopping, or are those in the same area? Ease and safety are more of a concern than hotel rate. I am a little nervous since this is my first trip to NYC in 15 years. Thanks!
May 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM

NYC is the safest large city in the USA.

What are your dates? If you don't care how much you spend, them you will be able to find something very easily.
May 7th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

We do not have dates yet. We were first trying to decide wether to go to see it in Chicago or NYC. I decided NYC since I have never ever seen a play there. Our plan was to price NYC out and compare it to Chicago. We are planning on mid week in June depending when we can get the tickets. Our dates are flexible enough to wait and see when we can get tickets. Right now we are just trying to get it together, figure out what part of the city to stay in, what hotel and what the rate range might be.
May 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Frankly, it doesn't really matter much where you stay. I always tell people not to stay near Times Square because it's so crowded and expensive (and because so many of the nearby restaurants are really bad or mediocre, yet still grossly expensive). But look for hotels in your price range. Avoid the Upper West side and Upper East side and downtown (i.e., below 23rd Street). Most anywhere else is fair game.

I think you might be able to find a nice hotel in the neighborhood of $200 or less for that time period (certainly under $250), but do some searching and see what comes up. Try Hotels.com or just Expedia.

You'll have a great time. New York is a great city to visit, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the ways it's changed in the last 15 years.
May 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Don't have any hotel suggestions for you. Last time we stayed at Holiday Inn Express on 45th St. Great location.

I just want to encourage you to go to NYC. I will never forget my first Broadway show: Chorus Line many years ago. It is a magical memory!

Last show was Jersey Boys, and equally as exciting.
May 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM

We are going Memorial weekend and are staying at the Affinia Dumont...got a very reasonable rate on Travelocity. Seems like it is in a good location and close to subway and busses. Have fun. We are seeing Mama Mia and Altar Boys ( off broadway). Check out the responses to the forum topic of mine and there are a lot of answers to a lot of questions! Enjoy!
May 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM

You really need to give us a hotel budget and what you're expecting for that. there are a lot of deal around - check out travelzoo.com. If you can get a good hotel deal, then build flights and theater tickets around them. But you need to move qiuckly to get things for early June.
May 8th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Okay, we have the air, and the tickets. We are arriving LGA at 5 on June 2 and leaving at noon on the 5th. Our theatre tickets are for Wednesday night. We are thinking of staying at the Millinium, Times Square. We did the Statue of Liberty and some of the touristy stuff you do with a 12 year old when we were in NYC 15 years ago. Any suggestions on shopping or sights that two girls from Oklahoma should see. My DD is 28 now so I am sure shopping is high on her list. Thought we might take one of the double decker buses around that you can hop on and off. Any better than others?? Thanks in advance
May 8th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I forgot to ask. Car service or taxi from airport to hotel?
May 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM

There have been many posts regarding visits to NY. Click on the View By State button up above. Then you can see what you may like. Or purchase a Fodor's NYC, so you may consider sites, walks, and restuarants that you might not have thought of.
May 8th, 2009, 09:38 AM

IMHO it is not worthwhile to come to NYC for a few days to spend time shopping. The stores are mostly the same as in any city/town in USA...unless you want to spend your money in the very high end designer shops on Madison Ave. Maybe a quick stop in Tiffany to buy a silver something,but you could probably do that in your local mall. NYC has great sights, museums, parks, river and harbor tours, bridges, etc. The tourist things are tourist sites since they are so interesting to see and not found other places.
May 8th, 2009, 09:38 AM

I like staying in Times Square - the Millenium is fine, the Sheraton, Marriott, Embassy Suites, Doubletree - all good. Lots of fun people watching, and I've found quite a few good restaurants around there (they're the little tiny places you never hear about) since I go there every year for a convention at the Javitz Center. Have a great time - there is no better place for a Broadway show than NYC!!!! You'll have a wonderful time - what a great daughter!!!
May 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM

You're going to run into some traffic coming in from La Guardia, but I'd still take a regular taxi. No need for a car service from that airport unless you prefer it (if so, you just call when you have reclaimed your bags or when you get off the plan if there are no checked bags). The cost will be about the same, though sometimes it's actually cheaper to take a regular taxi if you get lucky with traffic.
May 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Check travelzoo.com

This Week's Top Pick from Quikbook.com
$153 -- Trendy NYC Hotel through Summer w/Breakfast
Save 25% OFF; sleek room; near SoHo shopping & more
July 1 - Sept. 7; book by May 8

This Week's Top Pick from Fitzpatrick Grand Central
$149 -- Top-Reviewed Manhattan Boutique Hotel, 40% OFF
$50 food & beverage credit for stays of 3 nights or longer
Valid Thursday-Sunday; May 31 - Sept. 13; includes July 4

This Week's Top Pick from Wyndham Garden Hotel Midtown
$149 -- New Manhattan Hotel this Summer, incl. $20 Credit
Stay in Midtown near Times Square and Broadway
May 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Maggie; most folks don't know this & I believe I read it on
Fodors but if anyone in your party is 65, the very nice
Warwick Hotel has $165/nite/Senior rate for 2. In June w/all taxes it comes to $192.