Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going on vacation in 4 days and I've got a cold sore!! HELP

Sep 18th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

I don't know if it was the worry about hurricanes in New Orleans or what, but I just started getting a doozy! Any good remedies out there? Thanks for any help you can give!!
Sep 18th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Abreva.

It is sold at most drugstores OTC. It is not cheap (like $10 a tube) but it WORKS FAST!
Sep 18th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Cold sores are kinda like a cold: If you take xyz med, you will be well in about 2 weeks; however, if you do nothing, it will last about 14 days. That said, I am exceptionally prone to developing cold sores and have tried everything over the years. The only thing I have found that has any affect on them is alcohol. I just dab a bit on them whenever I think about it. It dries them up and they eventually go away. BTW, alcohol (the rubbing kind I am talking about...LOL) is also a good preventative for bruises. If you bump into something and just KNOW you are gonna have a doozy, grab some cotton balls and a bottle of alcohol; take about 10 minutes to do nothing but keep the site wet with alcohol by continually drenching it; then, throughout the rest of the day, do so when you think of it. Most likely there will be no bruise.
Sep 18th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both! I'd heard of Abreva and will go ahead and pick some up.

pollyvw: LOLOLOL - and you're probably right about the time period thing, but I'm "fussed" and will pick up the Abreva. I do like your tip about alcohol for bruises. That one will be put to good use, I'm sure.

Thanks to you both!
Sep 18th, 2004, 08:15 AM
GoTravel

Take a bunch of Lysine, about six (it is an amino acid found in the vitamin section of your drug store) and call your dentist or GP and ask them to call you in a script for Zovorax.

It is the only thing that clears them up after they've broken the skin.

Sep 18th, 2004, 08:36 AM

IT may sound crazy,but try putting an ice cube on it.
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Just a little FYI, while ZOVIRAX is commonly prescribed for genital herpes and while its the same virus found in cold sores, most physicians will not write it for that indication. I guess its worth a try however.
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:05 AM
GoTravel

WRONG wanderluster, both are herpes and I get scripts for it whenever my lip breaks out. Zovorax is prescribed for both.

DO NOT get the cold sore wet. A cold sore is a moving organism and getting it wet will cause it to spread. The ice cube is not a good idea.

Sep 18th, 2004, 09:16 AM
cd

My doctor gives me scripts for Zovorax so that I always have it on hand and can use it as soon as I feel a cold sore coming on. I have both oral and topical and it is a Godsend.
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Hmm, interesting. Must depend on the doc and or area where you live.
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Ice cube works for me.
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Zovirax in the tube...a modern miracle...expensive, but it truly works when you catch the cold sore in its earliest stage.

I rarely get one, so I usually have to buy a new tube each time, but it's worth it.

judy
Sep 18th, 2004, 10:41 AM
GoTravel

wanderluster, that is how I found out about Zovorax because my dentist prescribed it for me.

Sep 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM
E

Oh please. ccolor, do you have a doctor? Because I can't imagine why you would prefer Fodorites' advice on this over hers/his.
Sep 18th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

E: It's been ohhhhhhh - probably 3 years since I've seen my doctor - shoot, I'm not sure if he's even still practicing!

Anyway, I'm going with the Abreva and trying to convince myself, "it's really very small and nobody else will see it....." yada, yada, yada

It sure beats the hurricane though, I guess I'll take it and be happy just to be able to go to New Orleans!

But everybody's still welcome to give some input - I'm sure there's a miracle cure out there somewhere.........or maybe not...
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:21 AM
GoTravel

ccolor, there is no cure. If the skin is broken you need Zovorax. If the skin isn't broken an over the counter med will work.

Go ahead and eat 5 or 6 lysine. It is an ameno acid and they start to repair the sore.

Sep 18th, 2004, 11:29 AM

VERY interesting. I can't wait to speak with my doctor on monday.

Zovirax (by the way, it's spelled with an 'i') generic name Acyclovir, is available without a script online. Apparently 'they' will write a script for you. As I said, very interesting indeed.

http://www.zovirax.org/zovirax_howitworks.htm#3
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

GoTravel: K - It's still under the skin so I'm on my way to the store now. Thanks to all for help and I wish you all many vacations without cold sores and hurricanes!!
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:43 AM
GoTravel

wanderluster, out of curiousity, what makes you say most MD's will not write a script for zorvirax for a cold sore?

Several posters and I have written that it is what our doctors give us for a cold sore.

Both are herpes.

Sep 18th, 2004, 12:45 PM

My best working remedy is to use an ice cube right on the cold sore as soon as you feel that little initial pain and leave the ice on for about 10 minutes every hour or so . I alternate that with Zovirax ( Acyclovir). Over the years, I have found this combo to be the most successful in keeping the cold sore small. I use the ice on day 1, 2 and sometimes 3, whenever feasible

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO