Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fi and I planning honeymoon to New Orleans for first week in April - need recommendations for hotels!

Search

Fi and I planning honeymoon to New Orleans for first week in April - need recommendations for hotels!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 06:48 PM
Stephanie

We found a great package on Expedia.com at the Radisson for 7 nights for $1400 something for 2.

Can someone please give me some info on the Radisson or other inexpensive (but safe and nice)

Thanks

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 07:06 PM
John

That seems REALLY expensive for the Radisson. It's a really large (sterile) hotel poorly located on Canal Street across from housing projects. It's not bad for $75 a night but $200 a night makes it a bad deal altogether!

I must add, however, that early April is VERY busy in the city. Book NOW!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 12:27 PM
Victoria

Just got back from New Orleans and I can recommend that you do not stay at Le Pavillion. Terrible rooms, terrible service and management that doesn't care, all for $175.00 per night.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 12:40 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Stephanie, check out http://www.180096hotel.com/ for prices and availability. Note that you have to prepay, but the prices can sometimes be cheaper, or at least used as a benchmark.

Consider splitting your stay between a hotel in the Quarter and the Garden District for some variety. Good luck.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:29 PM
xxx

I wouldn't want to hassle with having to pack and unpack to split your time between the French Quarter and the Garden District. You can take a trolley car between the two and save the headache.

As for hotels, just be cautious about the location. You don't want to be on Bourbon Street. And since many of the hotels are quite old, they get a very musty smell.

April is a busy month in NO, so you want to book soon.

I'm sure if you run a search, you should be able to find a thread with some recommendations.

While you're there, take a walking tour through the Garden District. Also consider taking a daytrip (through Isabelle's) to the plantation country.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:54 PM
ellen

The Columns Bed and Breakfast

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:01 AM
susan

I disagree with the post about not staying on Bourbon Street. I know of at least one lovely B&B on Bourbon (La Maison Marigny) and my favorite hotel (the Royal Sonesta) is there, too. You just need to remember to ask for a room facing the courtyard if you're concerned about street noise.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:35 AM
John

Bourbon isn't for everyone, definitely. You can't beat the location though. There are B&Bs and guest houses on the quiet end of the street and a couple of nice hotels (Bourbon Orleans and Royal Sonesta) in the entertainment zone (100-900 blocks).

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 04:47 PM
gail

Out of the hotels we stayed at, the Maison Dupuy was the most romantic.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 12:49 PM
mc

My favorite is the Soniat House. Best homemade biscuits, fresh strawberry preserves, fresh o.j., great coffee served in your room. Quiet but central location in the Fr. Q. Really elegant charm.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 04:47 PM
herself

I'll second the Soniat House. Two blocks from Bourbon St. Two from French Market. Safe, quiet, rated as one of the most romantic places. Bourbon Street is NOT romantic.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:00 AM
lee

stephanie,
i've been twice to the big easy and have stayed at two different places. both are excellent. both are in the french quarter and far enough away from the noise of bourbon st, yet close enough to walk.
the rue royal inn on (royal street) has a courtyard with a lovely fountain and has reasonable rates.
le richelieu (which street on i forget) is also lovely and they have a pool.
i would advise staying out of the "chain hotels" they are all near canal street or convention center away from the quarter (though still walkable)
hope this info helps. you'll have a blast!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Waxim

OK - bottom line is that you will not find really nice, clean, hospitable rooms in New Orleans without paying the real bucks. And to top it off April is crazy with Jazz Fest (last weekend) and conventions. What you will find is a great time, friendly people, and enough alcohol that you will not care about the rest. My recommendation is to splurge and spend the 350 a night that it will cost to make your honeymoon nights worthwhile! Try the privately owned courthouse inns in the quater!! They are reasonable with great service and great views!!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Ginger

check out Lafitte Guest House-it's beautiful and about the same price as the Radisson, which is a generic Hotel. the Guest House has a hidden and romantic courtyard and the interior has high ceilings. It is also decorated to perfection. by far the most romantic stay i've ever had in N.O. and there have been plenty. the staff are friendly and courteous, very helpful and informational. You'll feel like you're staying @ home. Private parking. Wine & cheese in the parlor in the evenings and continental breakfast in the mornings. There are only seven or eight rooms in the whole House, so book now. as someone mentioned, April is a very nice time to visit N.O. and it's flooded with folks. Tell them Ginger Landry sent you.