glacier park camping

Apr 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

glacier park camping

I would love to go to Glacier for a week. It's a 40 hr drive so flying seems the only option.
Camping seems to be the way to go. So far, I am considering renting a camper , renting camping equipment, or taking it with in a duffle bag on the plane. I would like some feedback as to what has worked well for others. thanks..D
Apr 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM

Kalispell is the closest place to fly into. You can also take Amtrak to either East Glacier or West Glacier.

I don't know if you have looked into RV rentals in Kalispell. If you want a car, most of the major rental agencies are there, either at the airport or nearby. Be careful of mileage limitations, although if you are going to Glacier an dback you likely won't exceed the limit.

We have carried our camping gear in a duffle (as checked baggage) when we hiked at the Grand Canyon. That worked just fine. The one thing you cannot take is a fuel cartridge for your campstove (or lantern), but these are readily available in stores there.

With a week, you should spent time on both the east and west sides of the park, with slightly more on the east if you are a serious hiker. You can only reserve campsites at St. Mary (east) and Fish Creek (west).

Many Glacier is closest to the trailheads for some gorgeous hikes, but also is the most popular. The campsites are first-come and are usually all taken before noon in the main summer season. But if you arrive earlier you should be OK.

Search this Thread