Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Glacier National Park vs Canadian Rockies - or both? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/glacier-national-park-vs-canadian-rockies-or-both-320104/)

krayers May 23rd, 2003 10:41 AM

Glacier National Park vs Canadian Rockies - or both?

We are considering a trip sometime in July to either Glacier National Park or The Canadian Rockis - or if we have enoungh time a little of both. I've never been to either place. Is it too late to book rooms? Would welcome any advise. We will probably not be hiking due to traveling companion's health.
Thanks! - Kim

bob_brown May 23rd, 2003 11:43 AM

If hiking is not possible, then I suggest driving the Icefields Parkway, both north and south. You can see so much from the car and after short walks to an overlook or view point.
I have done the Icefields Parkway several times and I will be driving parts of it again this summer.

Also, Takkakaw Falls in Yoho are visible from your car, and after a short walk.

Moraine Lake near Lake Louise can be seen after a short walk.

Glacier National Park is famous for the Sun Road. I drove it twice last summer, once in both directions. It is a spectacular drive, but the highly scenic part is about 25 miles or so.
The Icefields Parkway gives you about 100 miles of beauty.

Another option is to take boat rides.
The ride on Waterton Lake in Waterton NP is spectacular. You can view the sights while seated.

Also, the boat ride on Maligne Lake in Jasper is a good trip because you can see the mountains from the boat on a clear day.

As for room, my advice is to get with it right now.
The season is short and you are going the peak of the season.
Good luck.

utahtea May 23rd, 2003 11:54 AM

Glacier, Waterton, Jasper & Banff are all really good mountain destinations.

One of my favorite areas is the Icefield Parkway between Jasper and Banff.

You don't mention how much time you have for this trip but Jasper and Banff area can take a good week to see.

Utahtea

ellen_griswold May 23rd, 2003 11:59 AM

You've gotten some excellent advice from bob brown. It all depends on how much time you have. Its possible, IMO to do it all in a week, or even possibly less. Our family philosophy has always been to spend less time at each place to see MORE places. We often then return to places we love to see them in greater detail.

If you do go this summer, dress WARMLY. We explored this area last summer and FROZE. The mountain downtown are of Banff was 50-60ish, but the minute we went into the Banff park, and especially Jasper, we were wearing winter coats and STILL cold.

Go for it and enjoy. It'll be some of the most stunning scenery you'll ever see.

John May 23rd, 2003 12:36 PM

Hello from Northwest Montana1
Yup, you can do both in one week no problem. Banff is approx. 4 hours from Glacier Park via highway 93.
Be sure to bring a goverment issue ID with you when you cross the border. That also goes for children over 14. They are clamping down at border crossings . If you have grandchilren with you or other kids you will need a written note from parents to leave the country.
For more info
www.nps.gov/glac/home.htm
www.travel.state.mt.us/
www.canadianrockies.com
www.banff.com
Have a great trip

krayers May 23rd, 2003 12:39 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. We'll have from 1 to 2 weeks. Guess I'd better start looking for lodging. Where would you fly into?

Kim

ShipleyDM May 23rd, 2003 01:18 PM

In Canada, Calgary or Edmondton (both in Alberta).
In the states, Spokane, WA, Missoula, MT. Seattle is 6 hours from Spokane
(driving). A little of both (Glacier/CA Rockies) is no problem. Jasper is several hrs. north of Banff so if you run short of time, just do Banff although the icefields are really worth a visit. I think there would still be lots of lodging available, B&Bs, lesser expensive hotels, hostels.
More expensive hotels will always have rooms given the state of the economy and our world :(
Try the AL/BC/MT tourism websites and many accommodations, you'll find, have websites.

John May 23rd, 2003 01:32 PM

Live from Northwest Montana!!
Delta and Nortwest both fly into Kalispell Montana which is 35 miles from Glacier Park. All major rental car companies are available at the airport. Horizon Air(division of Alaska Air)also flys into Kalispell from Seattle and Spokane.
With 2 weeks time you should have plenty of time to see all mentioned especially if hiking is out of the picture.
Have a great time

bob_brown May 23rd, 2003 01:47 PM

I personally fly to Calgary. The schedule is often better and the rental car situation is competitive. When I flew into Kalispell I ran into a problem with all of the rental agencies: They were either very expensive, or there was a milage cap with substantial charges for extra miles.

The same situation was true in Great Falls several years ago. As a result this summer and last I flew to Calgary.

IF YOU FLY TO CALGARY, I advise taking your passport. It makes entry much easier. Even at the highway border crossings I got many questions from the US officials. I showed my passport and that should have been the end of it, but such was not the case. I got the usual "Where are you from?" and "Where are you going?"

If you don't have a passport, then I suggest having a picture ID and your birth certificate. I think the US is still afraid that Sadam Hussein will sneak into the US from Canada and blow up the Washington Monument.

Photodog May 23rd, 2003 04:06 PM

In either case of flying into Kalispell or Calgary be sure to check with the car company prior to arrival to see if you are allowed to take their vehicles into another country. Some will not allow it and insurance may be a problem. Glacier and Waterton are separate parks with separate entrance fees. The US side is $10 for 7 days. The Canadian side is by the day. If you are planning on visiting several Canadian parks would suggest the Great Western Annual Pass. In '99 it was $35 good for a year in 11 western parks including Banff, Jasper, Yoho and Kootenay. There is a senior rate as well. If they have not changed their policy you need to have a pass on your car if you stop anywhere inside any of their parks. They have wardens (rangers) that do nothing but check and ticket cars that don't.

SuchAZ May 23rd, 2003 05:40 PM

I usually only book rooms (motels in the moderate range) a few days in advance. So far, no problems. If you're travelling in the Calgary-Banff area during the Calgary Stampede however, you'll need to start looking now.

By the by, there are a number of places in and around Banff where you can park and walk a few hundred yards for spectacular scenery--around the Banff Springs Hotel, to name one.

utahtea May 23rd, 2003 08:41 PM

If you want to stay in the town of Jasper..and I highly recommend staying in the area....then make sure you have reservations ahead of time. The last time we were there in July there were NO VACANCIES! We were in the nearby campground and didn't have any problems getting a campsite, but all the buildings had signs telling how all the lodgings were full and you would have to drive 45 - 50 miles in either direction to find a place to spend the night.

Utahtea