Glacier National Park lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for nice lodging in or at Glacier National Park?
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:45 AM
AlJ

Hi
In July, we stayed at Swiftcurrent Motor Inn and loved it. If you want fancy, it might not be for you. Several trail heads start there. It was quiet enough. Short walk to lake where we saw moose. We stopped by the Many Glacier Hotel but I liked the feel at Swiftcurrent better. Many Glacier does have an amazing view though.

We spent one night at Lake McDonald on the western side. It was OK but I liked the vibe and scenery better on the western side.

If you want, you can see pictures at www.alandsuejohnson.com. Click on the bison and look for the Glacier link.

You didn't say when you were planning to go. They don't have a long summer season.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:00 AM

We stayed in St. Mary Resort in mid-June (off-season) and we were very happy with our accommodations. We stayed in a Pinnacle cottage and loved it, and I understand the Great Bear Lodge is also very nice. Both have views. We were also happy w/the service. Last year, the resort was sold and had new management that didn't have much time to prepare for the season. The TA reviews since my return are very negative, but that was due to the service. I'm guessing that the service will improve by next year, or if like us your trip is off-season, the service should be great.

Also, the resort is in a good location next to GTSR and less than an hour to Waterton where we spent two days. My more detailed review (with pics) is on TA Lodging if you're interested.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help. I plan to go in three weeks with family and have heard many mixed reviews about alot of places. Swiftcurrent and St. Mary, are they in the Park or west, south, east of it?

Thanks again
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Beautiful pictures, AlJ. Ty for sharing. Makes me want to go back.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:52 PM

If you are arriving in 3 weeks, be aware that the Sun road will be closed to Logan Pass on the east side of the park as they complete road repairs before winter sets in. The Sun road is open on the west side to Logan pass but you can not drive through to the east side.
This takes effect Sept. 18.
Incidentally, we are expecting or at least they are predicting 4 to 6 inches of snow in the higher elevations for this Thursday,Sept. 14 with possible flurries here in the Flathead valley.
For more info on the park,

www.nps.gov/glac/home.htm
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

John,

Would you recommend us to come anyway? The dates would be the 1st and 2nd.

Carl
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:14 PM

If you can postpone till next year, I would certainly do that. By October, the Sun road could be closed for the year, one never knows . On the other hand, we could have a mild end of Sept. and October. Personally,
I would wait till next summer.

If your into winter sports, Glacier is open year round with excellent cross country skiing and snoe shoeing.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Probably should clarify
The park is open year round but the Sun road is open and cleared of snow to McDonald lodge only, which is also closed.
From that point on it is opened for cc skiing and snow shoe. No motorized vehicles such as snow mobiles allowed.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

John,

We are coming from SC. My parent wants to see the park just once, even if we can't see the entire thing. If we should not go there, do you have any suggestions? (We do have Yellowstone on the agenda for later in that week.)

Thanks you again.

Carl
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:10 PM

By all means then, come on out. Even with snow in the higher elevations I would guess the Sun road would be open to at least the Loop. Without snow you should be able to go all the way to Logan Pass. The road WILL be closed there though due to construction so you'll have to come back down the same way. The East side will only be open to Siyeh Bend until snow fall at which time it will close for the season.
Be aware that Yellowstone is approx. 400 miles from Glacier Park or about a 7 hour drive.
Happy trails!!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Can you tell me where you found this info that the Sun road will be closed starting Sep 18? I can't find it on the NPS website or anywhere else.

Andrew
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:52 PM

I live in NW Montana so I called the park. 406 888 7800
Feel free to call!!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks! I trust you, but I didn't see this info anywhere on their website unfortunately!!! How many poor people will drive all the way out there without a clue that they will be unable to drive through? Thanks for saving me a trip - I'll try next year, I guess.

Andrew
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Understand that you can drive to Logan pass from the west side but that a section of road after Logan, 2 1/2miles, is closed. The east side is still open from St. Mary to Siyeh Bend approx. 15 miles but Logan Pass is not accesible from the east side
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Just checked the web site. Under news releases is the information on the closing Sept. 18
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Didn't see it the first two times I looked (including under the "News" section), so I'm guessing most people will never see it. But, thanks!

Andrew
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM

HI: we stayed at the Many Glaciers Hotel. Nice place to visit, beautiful views. Nice employees, over priced food and accomodation. On the evening of Sep 10 they had employee musical entertainment, quite nice. Building built in late 20's so rooms are not very modern. No television in room.
We next stayed near Waterton Lakes in Canada at Cobblestone Maner BB. CHARMING!We stayed in the Carriage House 2 bedrooms,and an additional alcove bed. Kitchen, stereo, tele, vcr, sauna, hot tub, and barbeque.Breakfast off the menue, whatever strikes your fancy off the menue, included. All for $79.00 Canadian. Phone 403 653 2701. Address 173 7th Ave West, Cardston, Alberta.
www.thecobblestonemanor.com.