Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Girls weekend trip in end of July. Any suggestions where we should go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/girls-weekend-trip-in-end-of-july-any-suggestions-where-we-should-go-765900/)

maria_so Feb 5th, 2009 01:47 PM

Girls weekend trip in end of July. Any suggestions where we should go?

It's 4, maybe 5 girls. 4 out of the five are married. So far one or another has been to or is planning to go to NY, Chicago, Santa Fe, New Orleans, and Philadelphia. Of course, nowhere in Texas since we all live here. A suggestion was made for Kiawah Island near Charleston because one of the girl's aquaintance from her book club suggested it. Nice spa place (although the spa part wasn't that big of a draw) but the nice resort and the proximity to the beach, restaurants, and shopping were. That's what we basically want to do in the trip (the beach part is optional if the destination has it).

Where would you suggest and why.

Oh, and price is also a limitation. Nothing too expensive. For example, at the Kiawah resort, we found a villa that sleeps up to 6 for $415 a night. We were thinking the last weekend of July (Flying out on a Thursday and returning on a Sunday). Somewhere with direct flights from Houston (and decent airfare) would also be a plus.

Thanks!

boom_boom Feb 5th, 2009 04:28 PM

Well, it's a bit more than 4 hours, but what about Lake Couer d' Lean?

boom_boom Feb 5th, 2009 04:34 PM

Sorry - posted to the wrong question last time...
How about San Diego. Lots of good restaurants. nice beaches, shopping and more. Good public transportation, nice weather. Many good hotels in area of downtown and Gaslamp area, Mission Bay. Haven't looked at VBRO, but likely good choices there as well as hotels/condos.

maria_so Feb 5th, 2009 04:34 PM

In Idaho? What is there to do there and why would you suggest the place as a good spot for a girl's weekend. The only place in Idaho I have been is Idaho Falls and Craters of the moon area. Thanks!

maria_so Feb 5th, 2009 04:36 PM

I suggested San Diego but most of us has been there too so we're trying something outside the usual places. San Fran and Napa are out too and anywhere in Louisianna (because it feels to close to home). Nowhere we can drive to, I guess. Any other?

maria_so Feb 5th, 2009 04:37 PM

Oh, I also brought up Oregon (Portland and hood river) but I don't know why it wasn't a hit. I loved Portland.

maria_so Feb 6th, 2009 10:12 AM

ttt

Wayne Feb 6th, 2009 01:14 PM

Go to Asheville, NC. Lots of nice scenery, nice people, nice restaurants, and good shopping. Or you can get out of town quickly for some nearby exploring of the area. At that time of year, you don't want to be too far south. Good luck.

MicheleVee Jun 28th, 2009 11:24 AM

We are also planning a Thursday - Sunday girls weekend for the beginning of August, coming from Florida, Washington C, and New Jersey and need suggestions, too! Last year we met in Asheville, NC, and had a great time. We don't want to spend a lot of time driving or flying to our destination, and were originally considering Williamsburg, VA, but this is a long drive for the NJ and FL girls and there aren't any direct flights there. However, a place to relax, sunbathe, and also sightsee, maybe visit a winery, etc., would be wonderful. We are in our 40's and are all very active. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MP07950 Jun 28th, 2009 01:43 PM

I loved Asheville (went there last year for a girls weekend trip at the end of July and it was very hote)! What about Bermuda? It would be an easy trip for MicheleVee (there are direct flights from Newark) but I'm not so sure about Maria. Lots to do and the spa services (at least at Cambridge Beaches) were great.

maria_so Jun 29th, 2009 12:18 PM

HI All. Thanks for all the replies. We took the easy route and drove to Dallas (there ended up being 7 gals) and we had a blast! stayed at the hyatt dallas so we ended up not using the car at all while there. we walked/took public transportation to the nice hot spots (and there's plenty in Dallas), did some shopping, and ate some fab restaurants like Wolfgang Puck's Five Sixty revolving restaurant at the Reunion Tower and Rise No1 (a souffle restaurant). Let me know if you're interested going to Dallas and I can let you know what we all did.

maria_so Jun 29th, 2009 12:19 PM

Oh, and we ended up going on June 19 to 21st.