Girls' Weekend in Asheville, NC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going on a Girls' Weekend away to Asheville in March (Thursday - Sunday). Would appreciate reccomendations for things to do, restaurants, etc...Definitely doing Biltmore, how much time should we budget to see some of it? Looks like we are staying in the Residences at Biltmore, reviews? Also, we are flying in, so will we need to rent a car or is there public transportation? We only have a few days so should we concentrate on Asheville or are there other communities nearby we should visit also? Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:24 AM

Did the same thing with BFF in September. Allocate an entire day for the Biltmore Estate; it's huge. We arrived shortly after it opened, left for lunch, and returned in the afternoon. Biltmore and the Residences are south of Asheville, so you will need a car. Be sure to have lunch at 12 Bones. The River location isn't far from Biltmore.

http://www.12bones.com/
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:31 AM

Take the rooftop tour at the Biltmore. It's an extra charge but worth it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:22 AM

I suspect weather will dictate some of the activity options you have, Beth. I will be there about the same time and on my last several trips the weather has been great. I hope you can get out and enjoy walking or at least driving some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I recommend renting a car, Asheville's downtown is very walkable, but there is a lot to see in the area. For a nearby small town visit try Black Mountain (lunch at the Veranda) or Flat Rock. Weaverville is a very small downtown; but, two very good restaurants...the WelBread Bakery and Stoney Knob.

Asheville has several exceptional craft shops which I recommend:
Bellagio/Blue Spiral in the Biltmore Village shops
The Grovewood shops next door to the Grove Park Inn (go for a drink at sunset, it is great...but for dinner go to either Savoy or the Grovewood)
The Grove Park Inn shop in the lobby area
The Highland Arts center on the Blue Ridge Parkway
Miya Gallery in Weaverville

I will top my trip report from last March for you. Have a wonderful time. Asheville is a very fun place to visit.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses and to cmcfong for the trip report! Can't wait for our trip and trying all these places!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 12:59 PM

I am glad the responses were helpful. It occurred to me that if you are not locked into your accommodation choice you might call the Grand Bohemian and see if they can offer you a better rate. I have heard there are some deals.

Have fun!
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

We haven't booked yet. Do you think the Grand Bohemian is a better hotel?
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:13 AM

I wouldn't say that the Bohemian is better than The Residences at Biltmore, but they are very different. Mind you, I may be a bit biased as I work at The Residences.

The Bohemian is a boutique hotel with a hunting lodge atmosphere. If you're not into mounted animal heads everywhere, I would probably avoid. The rooms are quite luxurious and they are equipped with state-of-the-art technology. It is, however, simply a traditional hotel room, and most have only one bed in each room. Might not be ideal for a girls' weekend getaway.

The Residences at Biltmore is an all-suite hotel offering Two and Three Bedroom Suites that also have two full baths, as well as a shared living room, kitchen, dining area with gas log fireplace and private balcony. Perfect for catching up with the girls! We also offer 24-hour Concierge service and have an outdoor hot tub and fire-pit (our pool is closed for the season), and a fitness center. We do not have a bar or restaurant on-site but we are in close proximity to the many fabulous independent restaurants in Asheville.

And speaking of restaurants, Savoy, which cmcfong mentioned, is closing as of January 31. Some of my favorites (and it's hard to choose as there are sooo many great choices) include, Corner Kitchen (nouvelle southern in a cozy setting), Limones (upscale California/Mexican, great martini menu), Zambra (Spanish tapas, fabulous Spanish wine list), Cucina 24 (fantastic northern Italian, cosmopolitan atmosphere)...and I could go on but you only have a few days.

Like others, I do recommend renting a car. Public transportation and taxi service is unfortunatley not the greatest in Asheville. You will most certainly need one for visiting Biltmore as the Estate is very large. I would allocate a full day to see the House, Gardens and Winery. Lunch at the Winery Bistro is nice. The House itself takes about 3 hours to see and then a few more hours for the rest of the Estate. Definitely recommend getting at least the audio tour (additional charge) and the other "behind-the-scenes" tours, like the roof top, are fun too.

Between Biltmore and downtown Asheville, there is certainly plenty to do that you don't need to go to the quaint surrounding villages, but they are fun to visit and explore. I, too, like cmcfong, recommend getting out on the Blue Ridge Parkway and going for a scenic drive or hike. Our Concierge can recommend a hike for any experience level, easy to strenuous.

I'll get off my soap box now. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your friends!
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM

That crying sound you hear is me...the news of Savoy's closing is hard to take. It truly was a favorite.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the recommendations - we are so excited for our trip!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 02:39 PM

My inlaws loved the Grand Bohemian. Google it.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM

You will need a car.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM

You also may want to consider renting a vacation rental in the area. If you ever saw the Fine Living Channels "All Girl Getaway" there was a group of women who went to Asheville and stayed at Eagle's Crest -a gorgeous log cabin with views to die for and easy access to area attractions and restaurants. I agree check out Zambra, Early Girl Eatery, Corner Kitchen in Biltmore Village too!
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

We head to Asheville in three weeks - sure hope it warms up by then. Booked a one bedroom at the Residences at Biltmore and got a great deal. Have a rental car set up too. Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 02:19 PM

The River Arts District in Asheville is very cool and fairly close to town. A colony of artists have taken over a mile or so of abandoned warehouses along the French Broad River. They have a Studio Stroll twice a year (next one is in June), but some studios are open year around. Here's the web site: http://www.riverartsdistrict.com.

Also, be sure to stop in Ariel Gallery, 19 Biltmore Avenue, to check out the pottery of Jim and Shirl Parmentier. I think they are among the best in North Carolina.

Have fun!!