Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Girls' Trip Destination Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/girls-trip-destination-ideas-731073/)

em_axo Aug 22nd, 2007 02:10 PM

Girls' Trip Destination Ideas

I am tentatively planning a trip with 5 of my friends next summer - we're all turning 30 over the next year. We all live in Texas, so it needs to be reasonably convenient and affordable to get there. (I'm thinking California or the East Coast are probably too expensive airfare-wise) We want something fun but also relaxing. The cheaper, the better, but we're not on a super-restrictive budget.

So far our ideas have been -
Mexico (Puerta Vallarta? Cabo?)
Hill Country in Texas
Chicago
New Orleans

Any others you can think of? Or specific resorts/ideas in the places I mentioned?

Thanks!!

volcanogirl Aug 22nd, 2007 03:53 PM

We've done several chick trips - try to do one each year. One of our favorites was Charleston, South Carolina. Chicago was a lot of fun too. This year, we're going to San Antonio and staying at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort. We did Cancun when we were still in college, but I think we've outgrown trips like that - too old - LOL.

SusanCS Aug 22nd, 2007 04:17 PM

I absolutely love New Orleans but wouldn't schedule a trip there during summer months - especially August. On the other hand we've been in Chicago in July and it was delightful. I can't imagine anyplace in Texas being a good summer choice.

Our favorite summer spot is Monterey California, but we always end up there because we're in San Francisco on business.

ggreen Aug 22nd, 2007 04:50 PM

What about the southwest - say, Santa Fe for shopping, good food, and find a nice spa? Plus you've got the mountains if you want to head to cooler temps...

Narnya Aug 22nd, 2007 05:55 PM

Like ggreen, I'd go someplace like a spa or resort. My friends and I celebrated my 30th last summer in Carefree, AZ, at The Boulders Resort & Golden Door Spa. Heaven! :-) Phoenix/Scottsdale are both nearby, and Sedona is a couple hours drive north with beautiful scenery. You could even find a spa there...

smartcookie Aug 22nd, 2007 05:59 PM

How much are you looking to spend on airfare and hotel per night (SouthWest flies to many California cities from TX)? Also, what kind of things do you like doing? Are you all single and want to go out or you are married etc and want to hang out on the beach?

- New Orleans and Chicago would be my top options, though as someone else pointed out, I wouldn't go to New Orleans in August

- Puerto Vallarta is full of 18 yr olds in the summer during school break and wouldn't be that cheap

- Southern California is doable depending on what your expectations are. There are many places there.

coug_gal Aug 22nd, 2007 10:44 PM

I have done similar trips with 3 friends and my favorites were New York and Boston. Both cities can be expensive, but with planning, if you can get the cost down, it's a great time. Our round trip airfare from Sacramento to New York was around $350 on a red-eye.

tovarich Aug 23rd, 2007 03:25 AM

Why dont you rent a van and go touring ? A great tour from Texas could be through N./Mexico visiting all the wonderful Nat.parks in Arizona and Utah.You could also fly from Texas to say Las Vegas and rent a van there and go touring.Paul

ChristieP Aug 23rd, 2007 05:35 AM

If you go to Mexico, I'd recommend the Eastern side over the west. Cancun, Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, etc. are all SO much prettier than the west! Yes, Dean did just hit there, but by next summer, they will be completely over it and rebuilt better than before! Look at the package deals through Funjet and Adventure Tours for airfare and an AI hotel. You can get really good deals that way! Do you already have your passports?

Texas Hill Country can also be really fun, but not so much if you're on a budget. The Hyatt Hill Country resort is gorgeous, as is the Westin La cantera west of San Antonio. Or, look at Gasthaus Schmidt's B&B reservation service in the Fredericksburg area and find a house to rent where you can all stay together!

volcanogirl Aug 23rd, 2007 05:41 AM

em, the Hyatt Hill Country resort that I mentioned has a lazy river that runs around the property. You can just get in an innertube and float all day long, get drinks, go to the spa on the property, etc. Would avoid your having to pay for airfare since you're in Texas. Also the Riverwalk in SA is really fun - great spots to have dinner and drinks.

dfrostnh Aug 23rd, 2007 05:55 AM

Any chance you can change the date? Four of us do annual weekend getaways usually in late Sept. For New Orleans, however, we chose a 3day weekend in Nov. The weather was great and there's lots to do. Keep in mind that with 6, you'll need 2 cabs so a city hotel with everything within walking distance works out great. My apologies to tovarich but driving getaways with some friends are a big mistake. My friends argue all the time about which way to go. I hate being the driver. One time when two argued about turning right or left, I just continued thru an intersection and pulled over. Turned out neither was right, going straight as I had done out of frustration was the correct way. If you are starting this custom as an annual event, take turns being trip planners and make sure everyone respects the trip planner's itinerary. I've done things/gone places I wouldn't have chosen but glad I did.

lizziea06 Aug 23rd, 2007 07:41 AM

South Beach! Just got back from a fabulous trip there with 13 other girls in our late 20s.

Charleston would also be great...

smartcookie Aug 23rd, 2007 11:28 AM

Isn't it hurricane season in Miami in August?

lisettemac Aug 23rd, 2007 11:54 AM

NY, NY, NY! It has everything -- shopping, museums, spas, great restaurants.

smartcookie Aug 23rd, 2007 05:42 PM

NYC is a bit expensive for a group on a budget as it says in the inquiry.

ncounty Aug 29th, 2007 01:32 PM

Late september is a lovelier time of the year if you are able. Relatively close by (and Southwest flies there) is Park City, Utah. You can rent an entire house for $250/day and fall colors should be starting then. There's lots of great shopping and dining and hiking and the weather should be fabulous then. It is 35 minute drive from Salt Lake City.

smartcookie Aug 29th, 2007 01:45 PM

Hm, I was just in Park City and I wouldn't recommend it for OP based on her post (and possibly options) unless the want a quieter getaway experience.

jayne1973 Aug 29th, 2007 01:51 PM

Santa Fe fits for fun and relaxing. Also, my girlfriend and I really had a great but mellow time in Laguna Beach, California.