Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Girls Get-away Destinations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/girls-get-away-destinations-288993/)

poudrecanyon Jan 21st, 2008 06:07 AM

Girls Get-away Destinations

My friends and I are planning a "girls-only get-away" this year, and could use some suggestions on possible destinations. We're focusing on east coast and possibly Chicago. Open to the major cities as well as the smaller gems.

One of the challenges is finding a place that will accomodate the various interests -- shoppers, foodies, spa folks and sight-seers.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

BeachGirl247 Jan 21st, 2008 06:34 AM

Well, you said east coast otherwise I had a great choice for you: Santa Fe, NM. It offers everything you mentioned and more. Luxury hotels, world-class spa "Ten Thousand Waves", too many food choices to mention and lots of shopping. All of this found in walking distance around the plaza area of Santa Fe. And if you're feeling like a hike would do you good, Bandalier Nat'l Park is very close for an afternoon or an all-day hike. And for "sight-seeing", Canyon Road Galleries will keep you busy and interested all day! Or take a Santa Fe Tour around the town to hear its interesting history.

Very easy to fly into Albuquerque airport and take a shuttle to Santa Fe if you don't want to rent a car.

Santa Fe is very popular for girls getaway trips as it has a lot to offer for all interests.

escargot Jan 21st, 2008 06:55 AM

Here is where we have gone on girls weekends and enjoyed them all -

Charleston, SC (superb shopping, amazing restaurants, great sights, spa if you want but I couldn't pull myself away from the city)

if you put Charleston, SC into the search bar - or Trip Reports, Charleston - or if you put "Escargot Charelston" my trip reports come up. Been twice so far, going again next fall.

Washington, DC: obviously sightseeing, galleries - too many to ever visit in one wknd - museums, shopping, Georgetown, great restaurants

NYC : done that one twice !

Canyon Ranch/Lenox: this is mostly spa, exercise, walking - although you can go to downtown Lenox for shopping/western mass area/museums but we never leave the facility - but others do

Boston: has everything you are looking for

Time of Year? we rented a house one spring in the Vineyard just before high season begins - stores were open, walks on beach, great restaurants, spa services
Same for Nantucket and Cape Cod.

FLorida: We've done the Doral (spa, golf, walking, near tons of restaurants/museums/shopping/ South beach, etc)

South Beach

Naples/ Marco Island

Good Luck choosing !

writerchicknyc Jan 21st, 2008 07:05 AM

Depending on your budget, NYC seems like the winner. It has everything you mentioned. The shopping ranges from funky boutiques in Williamsburg, Brooklyn to the high-end shops of Soho. The spa seekers can hop from spa to spa up and down the island from European-style luxury to Asian tranquility. The sightseers can hit Moma, the Met, the Frick, the Guggenheim, the Tenement Museum, The Bronx Zoo... And the foodies? I don't even know where to start. Name the cuisine and we have it. Peruvian, Senegelese - okay, we don't have much good Mexican, but we're working on it.

writerchicknyc Jan 21st, 2008 07:05 AM

You posted while I was writing. I'm glad you loved NYC!

writerchicknyc Jan 21st, 2008 07:06 AM

Oops, that wasn't the OP. I'm still rooting for NYC!

MP07950 Jan 21st, 2008 08:23 AM

I'd definitely vote for Chicago. The city is easy to manage and there's lots to do (definitely something for everyone). We've also gone to Bermuda and that was a nice, lower key trip (not much in the way of shopping but the spa services were great).

volcanogirl Jan 21st, 2008 08:52 AM

We did a combo of Boston and Nantucket in September that was fantastic. Wonderful food, shopping, museums, history, whale watching, time at the beach, and I'm sure some of the hotels would have excellent spa facilities. I've also done girls' weekends to San Antonio and Charleston - both of those were hits as well.

poudrecanyon Jan 21st, 2008 11:28 AM

Thanks for all the great recommendations! We're planning on doing the trip in May/June or Sept/Oct -- pretty flexible at this point. We are all in our late 30s, with a few people turning 40 this year, which is what prompted the trip! I think any one of these suggestions will work for us. There are so many great places to go that we may need to make this trip an annual event!

matthew26 Jan 23rd, 2008 05:53 AM

NYC has the nicest stores to go shopping.

patrice123 Jan 23rd, 2008 05:11 PM

I know it's not in the region you mentioned, but I think Vegas is perfect. I go there with girlfiends once or twice a year. Shopping, food, shows, spas, pools, walking thru all the hotels, gambling...should be something for everyone. I like to gamble, but some of my friends don't, and we all have a good time.

tess53 Jan 24th, 2008 05:21 PM

spring in Newport. RI ....has all you're looking for and some !!! easy drive from the airport...also Providence is quite a city too, with all the girls requirements !! RI is a small state but these two cities are a must do !

travel13 Jan 24th, 2008 05:58 PM

We do a girls getaway every year. This year we went to Nashville and absolutely loved it! We stayed at the Opryland hotel. It was great. They have packages that include tickets for The Grand Old Opry, The General Jackson Dinner cruises, tours of the Ryman theater and more. The hotel has very good restaurants, shopping and a spa. Opryland Mills Outlet shopping is adjacent to the hotel. Downtown Nashville has lots to see. The people there are so friendly. I definately will go back.

amdc Jan 24th, 2008 08:20 PM

We did Chicago and had a GREAT time! Fabulous shopping, eating, parks, shows, museums, nightclubs, etc. It was very fun and I'd recommend it. There are lots of other fun cities too. The best fun will come from the companions you're with and almost anywhere you choose should be enjoyable, as long as it has something for all of you.

luster Jan 24th, 2008 09:11 PM

So many choices! Sante Fe is a wonderful location with everything mentioned earlier. NYC a blast- a good city to do group activities as well as split up if need be. Really quite easy. Chicago is actually on our list for the next girls trip we do, so curious to hear more. Vancouver, B.C. is also a great city to visit, good food, spas, sightseeing, and very international. If you like adding a road trip component, Sante Fe is fun to drive to and up to Taos, plus Vancouver Island is beautiful.

lovelucy Jan 25th, 2008 08:07 PM

Boston would be my first choice. I can't explain it but it's very different from what I expected. It has everything you are looking for. We stayed at the Wyndham on Broad Street in the financial district. It was very quiet and close to a lot. We walked to most everywhere we wanted to go or rode the subway and it was very safe. Loved visiting Cambridge and the shopping all over is fun. Took a whale watching cruise and even went on a ghost tour. You gotta go to Newberry street also. I highly recommend Boston to anyone, even with children. Very educational.

goingconcern Jan 26th, 2008 06:52 AM

I have done a few recent girls trips with a group of friends from university. We decided after a reunion that we should not wait for another milestone year but try to get together once a year. We are scattered mostly Eastern Canada and the US. Last summer we were in St. John's Nfld. and loved every minute of it. The year before in the Niagra Falls area. This trip included a wine tour in a limo. We were actually staying on the US side and did some great outlet shopping. The wine tour was in Canada. The year before we were in Quebec City. The European flavor is wonderful. There are great restaurants and good shopping as well.