Girlfriend Meet Up - LA -Getty Plus... Help with Hotel and Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted before about my efforts to get my friends and I together...we're currently focusing on an LA get together. Perhaps not typical but flight prices are good and one can drive.

We're planning a January Long weekend

I wanted to spend a whole day at the Getty. We'd also love to take a hike or long walk on the beach. Either. Maybe also see some live performance - music/theater. And then check out some other touristy site...neighborhood? A few good dinners.

I have been to LA a few times but never as tourist.

I know we'll have to drive but trying to think through an itinerary that works to avoid too much and where to focus hotel search on.

Mostly we just want to hang out and chat but also do some things we can't do with kids in tow. We nixed Las Vegas because none of us really wanted to go there it was just convenient. Ive really wanted to go to the Getty.

Ideas?
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Oh yes and since everyone always yells if you don't put in budget.... I guess we'd spend as much as $400 a night on a hotel... Just not sure where to base to even start a search
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For just a weekend visit, I'd stay on the Westside for easy access to the Getty Center (assuming you don't mean the Getty Villa in Malibu), hiking in the Santa Monica Mtns. and/or walking on the beach (pray to the weather gods). You could see a performance at the Geffen Playhouse in Westwood.

http://www.geffenplayhouse.com/more_...hp?show_id=136

I'm not a fan of Santa Monica (although others will likely post with numerous lodging suggestions there), so I'd look at the Palomar (a Kimpton hotel on Wilshire Boulevard just east of Westwood) or something in Century City (Century Plaza, St. Regis) or near the Getty in Brentwood (Luxe, Angeleno).
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:04 PM

The Beach House in Hermosa is a lovely place to stay. You could walk to some great restaurants and busy night life plus it is right on the beach. You really can't beat it. It's not super close to the Getty but not far from LAX, and if you have a car, it's really not a problem.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:07 PM

Oops, here is the link:
http://www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach-hotels.html
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Just checked out Beach House and it seems like it could be a great option

Arrive Friday night - check in - walk to dinner, watch sunset
Saturday - All day at the Getty, evening bike along beach
Sunday - yoga, hike, kayak and maybe afternoon/evening into more of LA for a show of some sort or another type of site
Monday - depart
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM

I think you'll really like it there. And January can be absolutely beautiful here!
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Just booked the ocean view suite at the beach house
Dinner Saturday night at La Sosta Enoteca

We might decide for a little spa time.... seems like there is something at the hotel but any other recos?
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Trilogy in Manhattan Beach is nice, plus it is next to one of my favorite lunch places, but I can't remember the name. It is like an upscale bakery with really amazing bread. you'll see it. Parking can be a challenge, though. There is also a Glen Ivy up the street, maybe a mile or so. I've not been there.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
SAB

I love the Getty's architecture and I'm a big museum goer, but I can't see how one would spend an entire day at the Getty, even if you have lunch at the very lovely Restaurant. However, I admit I am not a big fan of the Getty collection.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
cat's "upscale bakery" is Le Pain Quotidien. It's a chain but pretty good.

http://www.lepainquotidien.com/

But for lunch I prefer the patio at Shade Hotel or Petros (both on the same plaza as Le Pain). There is abundant metered parking under the plaza (enter from northbound Morningside Drive or southbound Valley Drive).

http://www.shadehotel.com/

http://www.petrosrestaurant.com/

Trilogy Spa is also on the same plaza. The Glen Ivy Spa in Hermosa Beach closed a couple of years ago.

http://trilogyspa.com/

The "entire day" at the Getty would have to include the nearly one-hour drive in each direction from Hermosa Beach.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

By all day I guess I mean get on the road by 10am - there at 11am - Stop for Lunch at 1pm -2pm... perhaps another hour or so. Heading back by 3:00- 3:30. So we're back to the hotel in time for happy hour and getting reading for dinner! So nothing much else that day but not necessarily 10 hours at the museum. But we'll both be vacationing WITHOUT lots of small children so just idea of being leisurely and thinking about stuff sounds great.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Oh, there is a place just up the street on Pier that has a very nice Happy Hour. Or just flat out great Tapas - Mediterraneo!
http://www.mediterraneohb.com/
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
To get you in the mood. Have fun!

http://www.travelswithmaitaitom.com/...ty_Museum.html

Old Nov 28th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Love the Beach House and they have some good winter deals.

On Sunsday, you might want to drive out to Terranea on the Palos Verdes Penninsula and have brunch/lunch. If the weather is nice, you can't ask for a more beautiful setting. One of my favorite spots. If the weather is nice, you can sit on the patio at Nelson's. Spectacular views and reasonable prices for food. The Terranea Grill is also a possibility if the weather isn't as nice.
http://www.terranea.com/palos-verdes-restaurants.php

Here are also walking paths around Terranea that go down to the water although I've never walked them. Also I see people kayaking in this area but they may bring their own kayaks. You'd need a wetsuit in January.

Sounds like a fun weekend.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 02:37 AM

lasightseeing.net

carrentals.com out of lAX

2 nice hotels goood personal experience for this

depending on where you want to be

Embassy Suites El Segundo a few blocks from

the beach airport shuttle great price points

my fav usually

downtown for me last Westin Bonaventure $69 bid priceline.com

Super nice for downtown big parking charges though.

Beach/LAX location best for me shuttle up/down PCH

Chart House for beat views sea food Marina Del Rey
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 08:12 AM

We love both the Getty Center, and the Getty Villa. If you eat at the cafe, and allow 3 hours to tour, you will have plenty of time IMHO. The views from each property are gorgeous.

You do not need a reservation for the Center, but you do for the Villa. Both are free admission, with a $15 charge for parking.

Have fun!
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Finishing up some plans....

Looking at Zanes or La Sosta Enoteca for Dinner Friday. Thoughts?

After Getty on Saturday thinking about the evening.

Maybe go more into LA and see Wicked... other ideas?

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM

I always love Wicked, and there is a place across the street that looks excellent, next to the W;
http://www.restaurantdelphine.com/delphine/index.htm

I have not been to either restaurant and would love to hear how they were. MB Post seems to be the "it" place these days!
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 09:42 AM

After the Getty, would you be interested in driving to Malibu and Pacific Palisades, to see that stretch of the beach? I believe you are staying south, so maybe you don't want more driving, but one of our standard go-to restaurants is the Chart House Malibu. Great oceanside seating, good food and service, reasonable prices.

I love the Getty, and think you will enjoy your visit there. On a clear day, you can see everywhere from there.

Have fun! Girlfriend get-aways are the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -