Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Gift ideas for friend going to Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gift-ideas-for-friend-going-to-hawaii-226413/)

connie May 29th, 2002 12:44 PM

Gift ideas for friend going to Hawaii

I'd like to get a gift or several small gifts for a friend (mid 30's female). She hasn't done much traveling before so even basics would be good. <BR><BR>I haven't been to Hawaii so wasn't sure if there were items you were glad to have/wished you had when you were there.

Susan May 29th, 2002 12:48 PM

Connie, two things I can think of right off the bat that I always take to Hawaii are a nice straw hat, perhaps a crushable one she could pack. Also, a colorful pareo that she could tie around her bathing suit as a coverup, and wear as a wrap over a dress for evenings.

kal May 29th, 2002 12:52 PM

Keeping along those lines, a big jug of sunscreen with SPF of 30+! Especially if she's going over during the summer months. Some 100% aloe vera with solarcaine just in case she doesn't believe the SPF sunscreen warning!<BR>Mahalos,<BR>Kal

Suzie May 29th, 2002 12:53 PM

Along with that hat and pareo - Sunscreen! You know how expensive it can be!! The poolside waitresses told us they use coppertone water babies. They felt it provided the best sunprotection. I've been using it ever since. Give her a cd of hawiian music. She can listen to it before she leaves in mental preparation and then listen with fond memories upon her return.

kal May 29th, 2002 12:56 PM

suuuuuz, you're gettin' sloooow in yer old age! ;^D<BR><BR>Kal "Mr SPF 30+" Kahuna

Suzie May 29th, 2002 12:57 PM

Haha Kal, great minds .......and sunburned bodies think alike!

c May 29th, 2002 12:58 PM

A cute pair of thong sandals are useful, since you can throw them on to walk through the hotel to the pool or beach. The hat and sunscreen are both great items as well. And a few books are always welcome for plane and beach reading.

Suzie May 29th, 2002 12:58 PM

ok stop with the 1 minute jump on me!

scigirl May 29th, 2002 01:01 PM

A few ideas:<BR>1. Trashy paperback for pool/beach reading.<BR>2. Sunscreen, as noted above. <BR>3. Slippers (flip-flops - the indespensible Hawaiian footwear. Best sort are the cheap-o's from Kmart or ABC).<BR>4. Hawaii guidebooks<BR>5. SPF lipbalm<BR>6. Beach bag<BR>7. Self-tanner

allie May 29th, 2002 01:04 PM

How about a beach pack? Beach bag, sunblock, reading material, a disposable camera (so you don't ruin your good one), a waterproof carrier (for keys, money, sunglasses), cute beach shoes. Even if she has a few of these things, it might be nice to have something new and funky, but inexpensive enough so she won't have to feel like she constantly has to guard her stuff.

Rebecca May 29th, 2002 01:06 PM

I always take European Chocolates, French cheeses food stuff generally from Europe that my friend has to search for in Hawaii. I live in NYC so I can have a lot of fun. Last year I took cookies from Fouchon flown in from Paris. You can buy these on Madison Avenue. Yes the Halikulani has smoked salmon from Scotland but what you see in the super markets is a cheaper Nova Scotia that is heavily salted and fatier. <BR><BR>Stylish Straw hat that travels well is a good suggestion. I also look to insure that there are not big gaps in weave (allowing in sun).<BR><BR>

Suzie May 29th, 2002 01:09 PM

There was a whole thread on waterproof packs that you can use while snorkeling and not worry about belongings being on the beach unattended. Put "waterproof" in the search it'll come right up like maybe the 3rd thread. This would be a great gift!!!!

Susan May 29th, 2002 01:14 PM

I'm smiling at all the suggestions Connie has already. Do many of us have Aloha on the mind, or what? I wish somebody was giving me a funky beach bag packed with a disposable underwater camera, pareo, crushable hat, trashy novel, flipflops, sunscreen, aloe vera gel, and a waterproof pack!<BR><BR>17 more days!

Suzie May 29th, 2002 01:17 PM

17 more days! As though I'm not jealous enough that someone might get all this good stuff you have to be leaving in 17 days!!! Life is not fair.....

kal May 29th, 2002 01:18 PM

Aspirin, Tums and Ben Gay?<BR>Oh wait, I usually take a whole suitcase. Sorry.<BR>Sunglasses (Maui Jim's?) and the loop to keep them on your face if a wave catches you or if you lean over too far on a boat tour?

Bob May 29th, 2002 01:54 PM

Lived on Oahu they can dance circles around what we offer in the way of beach apparel, sunscreen, picnic stuff and anything sun fun oriented. Perhaps this does not hold true for places like Southern Cal but certainly NYC. Also think it is great to take stuff that is more indicative of where you are coming from.

bob May 29th, 2002 01:56 PM

skip earlier post read to fast thought you were visiting a friend living on Oahu.<BR><BR>waterproof pouch for sure, few people think of that<BR><BR>

Rita May 29th, 2002 01:58 PM

food for the plane sounds good YUM!

Susan May 29th, 2002 02:20 PM

Suzie, I'm sorry! Don't hate me! I'll have a mai tai in your honor (or two).

Connie May 29th, 2002 03:39 PM

You all are GREAT! <BR><BR>I'm going to have a lot of fun gathering up all this stuff and she will love it.<BR><BR>Thanks and keep it coming!