Ghent area of Norfolk near CHKD

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghent area of Norfolk near CHKD

I know this is last-minute ... we have to go tomorrow morning for a check-up the Kings Daughters for my 4 yr old. I was wondering if there is anything within walking distance that is worth seeing? We were there a year ago and it seemed like such a waste of a trip over and back from Williamsburg. Is CHKD near Ghent? Is that area cool for exploring in terms of shops / coffee shops, etc? Thanks for any help
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this the CHKD place off of Colley Ave?

I don't know my way all that well around Ghent but I'm pretty sure you're nearish the neighborhood. There's the Baker's Crust in the Palace Shops off of 21st St. and also a nice coffee shop called Fair Grounds somewhere in the Ghent vicinity.

Wish I could be more helpful. Mostly posting to ask ( and hope) to hear that your dear 4 YO is having a very routine check up at CHKD.

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:39 PM

I walk a LOT, so check distances, as I'm relying on memory: It seems that Ghent wasn't too far from Nauticus (the National Maritime museum), a mothballed US Navy Battleship (Missouri?), Waterside (similar to Quincy Market, Balt Inner Harbor, but not as nice as either, imho). Also nearby to Waterside is ferry to Portsmouth (Childrens Museum & other stuff) and various harbor cruises, cruise/dinners. The Wells Theater is beautiful of itself, and could have something being performed there at the time.

Even tho I walked around a lot, I'm not so sure you'd wish to walk that far at nighttime. Norfolk also has Chrysler Museum. In nearby Hampton is a Air/Space Museum, IMAX, & antique carousel. There's a aquarium/marine museum in Virginia Beach. Good luck with all.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:57 PM

IMO, the Chrysler Museum is a gem, well worth a trip.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope this reaches you in time. After your 4 yo's appointment she'll deserve a trip to the Portsmouth Children's museum. Portsmouth is just on the other side of the Downtown tunnel which is 1/2 mile from CHKD. I bet you could get directions at the hospital. Yes, nearby in Norfolk are Nauticus, MacArthur shopping center, and Waterside.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Birdie - I'm happy to see that you're an expert on this area as well as Williamsburg! obxgirl - my son has a missing kidney and we just have to get it checked out once a year. Should be routine - fingers crossed! Now off to battle the tunnel! Thanks again everyone
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wees, Am assuming all went well at CHKD today. Hope you had some travel related adventures to share about your visit to the area (a relatively unmined topic on fodors...)!
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

All went well - thanks. Afraid that I have very few tales to tell since our Doc visit took much longer than we'd have liked. My au pair did take my youngest on the free bus to Mac Arthur mall to stay cool. The bus sounded pretty cool. We all walked a bit around Ghent, but it was blistering hot so we didn't do more than 20 min. Sorry for the disappointment