Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Gettysburg PA Haunted?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gettysburg-pa-haunted-348369/)

SandyFeet Aug 15th, 2003 12:37 PM

Gettysburg PA Haunted??

I would love to get a quick getaway and go to Gettysbugh PA for a few days next week. My husband will not go. He went once and said he got a bad feeling and would not return ever again. I have been but not in a very long time and love the history. Has anyone been spooked by Gettysburg?

Johanna1 Aug 15th, 2003 12:45 PM

Does your husband consider himself a "sensitive" (psychic)? Also, did he say where he was exactly when he got the "bad feeling?" I imagine with all of the lives lost on the battlefields that there must be quite a few restless spirits about.

We live about an hour away from Gettysburg and drive through it all the time on our way up to the Scranton area. I have never experienced anything out of the ordinary, nor has my husband.

jersey Aug 15th, 2003 12:49 PM

My husband and I were there just before July 4th this year. While I wouldn't use the word haunted, I would say that there is a certain solemn feeling at the battlefields and perhaps even in the town. There were so many lives lost. I suppose that one can't help but feel a certain heaviness in the air. But haunted? Not in my experience.

LordBalfor Aug 15th, 2003 01:14 PM

Well, I lived in Verdun, France (a WW I battlefield where around 1 million soldiers died) as a young child, and went back there even as a teenager, and I DO believe the place is haunted. The "bad feeling" just permeates the place. I ended up writing an Epinion on it (http://www.epinions.com/content_12662443652) and I thought people would belittle my experience. Surprisingly however, people seemed to believe me and in fact some wrote to me and/or left comments specifically mentioning having that same "feeling" at Gettysburg and other places.

Ken

PS; Also felt it at Roanoke Island, NC.

jersey Aug 15th, 2003 01:28 PM

LordBalfor-
Could you describe "bad feeling"? Because, while at Gettysburg I found there to be something in the air for sure, but I didn't find it to be a bad feeling. To me it felt very sad and solemn. I am curious about what you sensed in France and how it feels bad. (If you would so indulge my curiosity.)

LordBalfor Aug 15th, 2003 01:39 PM

The feeling in Verdun was sort of a cross between:

1) The "hushed" feeling you get being in a church or other "sacred" site

2) The creepy, "look-over-your-shoulder" feeling you get when walking down an empty street at night.

... and this is in the daytime!

Hard to describe really. Let just say that I am NOT a superstitious person, but when I'm in Verdun, I believe.

... and as I said, folks mentioned feeling the same thing at Gettysberg.

Ken

jersey Aug 15th, 2003 01:42 PM

Thanks.

I know of that hushed feeling but never felt creepy. I think the most sad place I've visited is perhaps the Bloody Lane at Antietam.

cd Aug 15th, 2003 01:45 PM

How strange that I would read this post as we have been thinking of returning to Gettysbugh. We were there when our children were small but would like to see it again. I was looking into a haunted B&B. You might want to check it out at; http://www.farnsworthhousedining.com/
Not sure I believe in ghost's but willing to check it out.

LordBalfor Aug 15th, 2003 01:46 PM

If I remember right, one of the people that left a comment on the review specifically mention Antietam, so I'm not at all surprised.

Ken

alawes Aug 15th, 2003 02:26 PM

I have one daughter at Gettysburg College and another joining her in a few weeks. It is a wonderful small town. Great places to stay and fun places to eat. I would definitely support a get away to Gettysburg.

SandyFeet Aug 15th, 2003 07:28 PM

Thanks for your replies...we decided to split the difference and stay 1 night in Gettysburg at the BW gettysburg Hotel and 1 night at the Strasburg Inn. We do go to PA all the time, as we live on Long Island - not far at all. This will be our first time to Gettysburg together. I'm sorry as I do need to clarify his "bad feeling" as solemn and he is "afraid of ghosts" I guess he is afraid after hearing all the stories - big baby. I do however believe in unsettled spirits, although I have not experienced one at Gettysburg (I have not been in over 15 years). I have encountered strange feelings though, many times. A few years ago, b4 my husband and I were married we were in PA for a long weekend. We were driving around and stopped for lunch at a place called Bubes Brewery in Mt. Joy. I had a very uneasy feeling upon entering. When we sat down at the table, I felt my feet vibrating and I felt sick to my stomach. I told my husband that we had to get out of there. Don't know what or why and don't want to know - I just know I felt tortured souls. we paid the tab for beers we never drank and ran out of there.

bluesramsrock Aug 15th, 2003 07:43 PM

We were there 5 or 6 years ago and took one of the guided night time "ghost" tours. It was a terrific experience for my kids and me. It was one of those situations where the kids got a great education and didn't even know it! If you go make sure you take one of the tours.

SandyFeet Aug 15th, 2003 08:05 PM

Thanks, I always wanted to do one of those! We will be sure to check into that:)

Judyrem Aug 16th, 2003 06:35 AM

Hi Sandifeet, I grew up in a small town north of Gettysburg on rte 15 called Mechanicsburg. We used to go to Gettysberg on a regular basis. My father was quite an expert on the Battle. It is considered to be one of the most important battles in history! I think that that feeling permeates the whole area,,,,,,the "what if's?" too numerous to mention. It is an incredibly solemn place, Lincoln's address being one of the highlights IMO. I am glad you are going, it is so worthwhile. Judy

dan_woodlief Aug 19th, 2003 11:36 AM

I have never felt any of that during the daytime at Gettysburg. If you want to really feel eery then roll down your car windows, turn off the radio, and drive alone through the battlefield after dark. Seminary Ridge and Little Round Top can feel pretty spooky because there is nothing but you, the sound of rustling leaves, and who knows what else.