Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Getting to Key West (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/getting-to-key-west-409051/)

MikeTr Mar 9th, 2004 07:16 PM

Getting to Key West

I have a business meeting in South Beach and considering a few days in Key West before the meeting. I don't really need a car for the entire week and would like to save parking costs, so does it make sense to rent a car to get from Miami to Key West, then another car a few days laters to get back to Miami?

bookhall Mar 10th, 2004 04:22 AM

Mike: Sounds like a plan. We used Thrifty in February. Special on convertibles: 199/week. Rented at MIA, with a no-charge dropoff in Key West.

We reached the latter on Weds., and had to turn the car in Thurs. We made arrangements with a bike-rental outfit that delivers, and he met us at the airport when we dropped-off the car.

You might shop rates, but I think it's worth trying to make it work....

mclaurie Mar 10th, 2004 05:34 AM

If you haven't purchased plane tickets yet you might look into <i>flying</i> into Key West (maybe via Ft Lauderdale). I seem to recall there are reasonably priced fares on certain days FLL/Key West but less so MIA/Key West. That way you's only have to rent a car &amp; drive one way. Much more relaxing IMO.

GoTravel Mar 10th, 2004 05:42 AM

I think it's Cape Air (www.capeair.com) that offers one way tickets to Key West.

cd Mar 10th, 2004 05:45 AM

MikeTr
If you're worried about parking costs in Key West, don't. There's street parking all over. Hard to find at times, we had to park 5 blocks away from our hotel but once it's parked you just leave it for the duration. The drive thru the Keys down to Key West is beautiful!!

jasper Mar 10th, 2004 06:21 AM

it's worth the drive (app 3 or 4 hours to my memory) through the keys to key west. definatley rent a car.

Heartburn3 Mar 10th, 2004 04:16 PM

I took the bus (never do this!) to Key West from Ft Lauderdale and then decided to pay to fly one-way back to FLL. Continental was $118 one-way and I booked the ticket the day before I left. This was last June and a r/t ticket would have been around $200. The flight is great because they use smaller planes and you can see the keys and the everglades from the air! If you can afford it and get tickets, fly at least one way. The idea of renting a car for the drive down and then flying back sounds great! Otherwise, just rent the car and enjoy the drive.

Leslie_S Mar 18th, 2004 10:33 AM

The drive is not that special - people make it sound scenic but really other than crossing a few bridges (granted, over beautiful turquoise water)for most of the drive you can't even tell you're near water. It's mostly 1 lane in each direction so it's impossible to pass and the traffic can be heavy. Especially if there is an accident or some other holdup. I did it last year after several friends told me I HAD to experience the gorgeous drive at least once and it made me crazy.

Flying is a good choice because you can get a cheap flight and you truly don't need a car in KW. Stay in the old town section and rent a bike - that's the best way to get around. Also it lets you burn off a few calories so you can enjoy some Bananas Heaven at Blue Heaven guilt-free!

JeanH Mar 18th, 2004 01:00 PM

I enjoy the drive from Miami to Key West. You just need to get on island time and not be in a hurry. What I don't enjoy is the drive back to Miami if I have a flight to catch. So, we fly into Miami and home from Key West. Last time we managed a one day car rental (full sized car) for under $35.00. Quite a bargain.

rkkwan Mar 18th, 2004 02:43 PM

What you need is a convertible.

Nuwaver Mar 18th, 2004 07:47 PM

I disagree with the notion that there is nothing special about driving the overseas highway to Key West. There are over forty bridges. Where else can have the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Gulf Of Mexico on the other while driving down the highway? True, there are some areas where the water can't be seen, like the area from Long Key Bridge to the Seven Mile Bridge through Marathon. Still, that allows for a rest. One can't stop in the middle of a bridge to relieve him/herself. I find the drive to be quite intersting not only for the tropical beauty and the water water everywhere, but also the different character of the various keys along the way.

GD Mar 19th, 2004 07:39 AM

Mike, if you're already there you probably will want to rent a car. It is a four-hour drive from the airport and the majority of the drive is a two-lane road. We'll never fly in to Miami and drive to Key West again. Next time we'll fly directly there. The best part of the drive is the seven-mile bridge.