Search

Getting the most out of 3 days in L.A.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting the most out of 3 days in L.A.

Hi,

I would really like to get the most out of 3 days in the greater LA area. OK, here is more info so you can better help me:

I'll land in Ontario, California on July 9th. I should be done with work by Thursday afternoon and I'm flying out on a red eye Sunday night.

I'm French Canadian, 30 years old and I travel quite a lot for work but it's my first time in California. I’ll have a rental and don’t mind the drive. I guess I would like to be based close to L.A., nowhere downtown but bearable drive (if that’s possible around L.A.) or commute.

What I would like to do during these 3 days:

- Thursday night: alternative rock bar where I could ear some Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Green Day and the others. This is so 90s but I really like that sound, not sure there is still such a bar around L.A. .

- Friday; some sightseeing, like a National Park inland or something.

- Friday night; a friendly bar with any kind of music, a dance floor and girls. 50$ cover and 25$ beers no thank you… unless the place is really worthwhile and I can get through with my really down to earth clothes.

- Saturday; beach time, I'm no surfer but would not mind seeing some crazy dude getting slammed by a wedge. Just hang out on the beach, go for my daily jog and perhaps rent some roller blades if there is a nearby alley.

- Saturday night; guess what, another friendly bar. I emphasize on friendly, nothing too glamor.

- Sunday; sightseeing in L.A. (museum, city park, landmarks), I have to be at Ontario airport for 18:30

Many thanks for the help!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
lvk

I can't help you with a 90's music bar, but for your beach time, I highly recommend Hermosa Beach. There are lots of bars in a few block area, some with live music. Casual, beach attire is the norm. This website will give you a little info on the bars in Hermosa/Redondo & Manhattan beaches.
www.pubclub.com/losangeles/hermosa.htm

During the day you can rent a bike, skateboard or rollerblades from Jeffers on 14th St, and ride along the Strand, watching the surfers, volleyball players and just people in general. www.labikepaths.com/SoBay.html
There are lots of places to stop along to way to grab a bite or a beer.

There are several low cost lodging options along Pacific Coast Highway in Hermosa and Redondo. The Holiday Inn Express and Hotel Hermosa are a few.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the info lvk. I will probably book at Hotel Hermosa.

I decided to spend Friday at Joshua Park, will go for Ryan Mountain trail.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:46 PM

It's very warm in Joshua Tree in July, it's really edge of the desert. You might want to reconsider that choice.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, I'm quite used to that kind of heat so it should not be a problem.