Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   getting into and out of canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/getting-into-and-out-of-canada-357215/)

RoseH May 8th, 2008 05:07 PM

getting into and out of canada

Ok, we hope someone can help us. We want to go to Niagra Falls, and Torornto this summer. but, we are getting conflicting stories.. some tell us we do need passports, and others swear we do not. Then , there are the ones that have been over and tried to get back into the USA and it was a mess, they had their cars searched & was stopped for a fairly long time. We really want to go, but not sure what we could be getting into. We do not have passports and we would be driving. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all... :-)

easytraveler May 8th, 2008 05:14 PM

You do need passports. A driver's license is not enough.

New rule that went into effect in 2007, believe it was February.

Do not try to bring fruit or other such items back. They will ask you if you ahve certain items, like fruit, and if you answer yes, then you will be pulled over and your car searched. Do get a current list of the forbidden items and avoid buying them in Canada.

easytraveler May 8th, 2008 05:16 PM

Here's the relevant government link on passports:

http://www.americanpassport.com/wha.html

RoseH May 8th, 2008 05:17 PM

How about if we had our birth cert. with us.. (for each of us ) the whole family? Even @ AAA one lady told us yeas we do need passports and an other one said not till 2009.. thanks for the tips on fruit too. :-)

RoseH May 8th, 2008 05:23 PM

thanks for the great link , that helps a lot! Gee we may need to get some PP.., heck I am not even sure how long they take to get?

easytraveler May 8th, 2008 05:30 PM

You can get a passport at a designated passport office. Check this for an office near you.

http://www.usps.com/passport/

Call or visit them to find out more information.

I would definitely suggest that you get passports and not chance it with birth certificates.

y_lou May 8th, 2008 05:56 PM

According the the Homeland Security Site US citizens need to present a passport or a government issued ID (driver's license) plus proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate) in order to cross the border into Canada. Children 18 and under need only present their birth certificates.
On June 1, 2009 the rule changes again and a passport will be required. Check out this link:
http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/index.shtm

I think all the confusion arises from the upcoming change in the rules. We live in a border town and our local media heavily covered all the back and forth of the requirements. Many border towns did not want the passport requirement fearing a resulting drop in tourist traffic.

I hope this clarifies the issue. You should be able to go into and out of Canada with your driver's license and birth certificate. Will you get hassled from the border guard because you don't have a passport? Who knows?

KathyK May 9th, 2008 08:39 AM

No, you do not need a passport just yet. I believe that the birth certificate has to be original, with the seal, and not a copy. And you'll need your drivers lisence.

nytraveler May 9th, 2008 09:30 AM

NOTE tht about the birth certificates. They cannot be copies- but must be the original certifiates with government seal - from wherever the birth was registered. As long as you're going to al the trouble to get them - why not just get passposts and get it over with - since shortly you WILL need them for everywhere.

gail May 9th, 2008 12:42 PM

"the whole family" - check Dept of State website to see if they require govt issued photo IDs for kids as well as adults (Ialong with birth certificates). Don't rely on people here for something as important as this unless you want to become illegal residents of Canada.

"the whole family" - again, if it includes minor children both parents must be present or you need a notarized statement from the absent parent authorizing travel outside US. This is the case even if there is a divorce, never married, death, etc. (Obviously you can not get a signature from a dead person, and will need some sort of proof). No guarantee they will ask for this, but they can.

shaz60 May 9th, 2008 04:18 PM

Hi Rose -

Depending on the ages of your kids, I would not bother with passports and their cost unless you are planning to travel outside the country again the near future. You should definitely get a passport for yourself and any other adult if you think you may want to leave the country. The lines on the return from Canada are sort of luck of the draw. Mini-vans with kids and paperwork usually don't get pulled over but you never know. Have a great trip. That is a wonderful area.

vlcgoddess Jun 4th, 2008 08:19 AM

What's the wait like for a passport now?

RoamsAround Jun 4th, 2008 08:47 AM

At present it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get a NEW US Passport (three weeks or less door to door if you use Expidited Service).

If you are renewing a Passport it take 2 to 3 weeks (one week if you use Expedited Service).

nytraveler Jun 4th, 2008 09:40 AM

Be sure to note that birth certificates MUST be original with governmnet seal attached - not just a photocopy. And the government ID must have a photo for adults.

juliewo Jun 4th, 2008 01:17 PM

RoseH: We live in Buffalo and cross the border a lot. You do not need a passport, as other posters have pointed out. Here's what the CBP website says in a press release from the Memorial Day weekend:

"Documents that can be used to gain entry into the U.S. include official passports, passport cards, copies of birth certificates along with government-issued photo identification, enhanced driver's licenses, NEXUS or FAST cards.

Those U.S. or Canadian citizens who travel without the correct paperwork will have the requirements explained to them, receive a tearsheet explaining how to become compliant with the rules and then be able to proceed into the U.S. CBP officers are still exercising discretion with those who fail to comply with the enhanced requirements in order to ensure that everyone knows what is required."

Kids need birth certificates -- if they're old enough for licenses or other photo ID, bring it. Generally, the border agent will ask the child who you are. If they identify you as mom or dad, you're all set.

We cross all the time at the Peace Bridge in Buffalo -- also at bridges in Niagara Falls and Lewiston, NY. I rarely see cars pulled over to be searched. Be smart and honest when you're asked what you've bought in Canada. It's really not a big deal. If you act suspicious or are belligerent, you'll likely be pulled over. If not, they'll wish you a safe trip.

If possible, try to cross early or late to avoid delays. Weekends are tough at the border crossings. Good luck and enjoy your stay!

isabellasu Jun 4th, 2008 04:27 PM

I'd spend the money and time to get passports, they are good for at least 10 years. It doesn't take that long to get your passport, at least it didn't earlier this year, maybe 3-4 weeks.

Judyrem Jun 4th, 2008 04:42 PM

I will bring our passports for NOTL and Toronto. But what about bringing the rental car over? Is there a problem with that?

Ackislander Jun 5th, 2008 05:58 AM

You need to talk with your rental car company.

Even with your own car, there may be insurance issues in Canada. You used to have to have a "Canada card" from your agent showing your insurance covers you in Canada.

Don't know if that is still true, but youdon't want to find out at the border.

nytraveler Jun 5th, 2008 09:36 AM

I've never seen a US insurance policy that didn't cover Canada as wel - but perhaps it's becauseI'm from NYC. But - it certaily pays to check.