GETTING FROM NEWARK AIRPORT TO NY CITY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI EVERYONE, I'M TAKING MY STEPDAUGHTER AND GRANDAUGHTER TO NY CITY. WE WILL BE ARRIVING AT NEWARK AIRPORT. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET TO OUR HOTEL? ALSO, WOULD LIKE NAMES OF PLACES TO EAT. THANKS
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 03:01 AM

You should take a car service; book in advance.

http://www.carmellimo.com/

There are thousand of places to eat in New York so you should let us know what kind of food, how much you want to spend, and which area you are staying.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 04:40 AM

How you travel to your hotel depends entirely on your budget and where you are staying, as does your choice of restaurants. If you give us a bit more information, then we can make some recommendations. Where is your hotel? What kind of food do you like? What kind of budget are you traveling on?

I disagree with ekscrunchy that the best way into Manhattan from Newark is always by car service, though with three people there is certainly less difference in price. It's only about 1/3 more than taking the bus or Airtrain, both of which are very viable options depending on where you are staying and when you are arriving.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM

I'd say best transport depends on where your hotel is.

You can start looking at restaurants yourself on menupages.com which lists by area/cuisine.

Do you realize posting in all caps is like screaming?
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM

The best method in from EWR depends on how much luggage you have, how much you mind schlepping it around and how much you value money over convenience. With 3 people I would use a car service (try Carmel or Dial 7 web sites and you can sometimes find a coupon). This will typically be $60 plus toll and tip. Shuttle bus into the city then cab to your hotel may cost a little less, depending on where your hotel is. Taking public transit (AirTrain to NJ Transit to Penn Station to subway to hotel) will cost less - but will be IMHO a major pain in the butt.

As for restaurants NYC has dozens of excellent ones and hundreds of good ones. You need to give us a budget and types of food you like/dislike before anyone can make recos.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Take into consideration the time of day you'll be arriving. Any non-rail transportation has to pass through either the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel under the Hudson River. These crossings can have up to an hour delay in normal morning or afternoon rush hour traffic, much more if the weather is inclement or there's been an accident.

Granted, rail is less convenient than other modes when you've got baggage (though most people these days use bags with wheels). Still, if you want to avoid what could be extensive traffic delays, you may still want to consider the AirTrain/NJTransit route. At Penn Station, however, the subway is probably not a good choice, as there are stairways you'd have to negotiate with bags, rollers or not. I'd cab it to your hotel.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Know nothing about this service except:

1) they are advertising here in contravention of the rules
2) their prices are considerably higher than those of the companies usually recommended

Dial 7 or Carmel - both of which are large and reliable.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Just used Carmel over Labor Day weekend. Highly recommend. Cars are very nice and clean and the drivers don't drive like maniacs like the cabbies do. Make your reservations online and then call them once you've picked up your luggage.