Notices

Getting from Marblehead to Salem

Jun 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Getting from Marblehead to Salem

We will be using public transportation, does anyone know how to get from one city to the other (Marblehead to Salem or vice versa?) If we have to choose only one city to visit, which would you recommend for prettiness, architecture & scenic views?
Thank you!
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM

The only public transportation between the two is MBTA Bus but none are direct that I'm aware of. Most routes I know require you to go into Boston, switch and come back out to Salem, which is silly when they're adjacent cities. And I'm not really a fan of the bus to begin with...

To be honest if you're limited to public transportation, you'd have to stay in Salem. Marblehead really limits your options as far as getting around anywhere other than Marblehead!
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying. We are actually staying in Hyannis and taking a day trip, which means taking the bus to Boston and then train or bus to either Salem or Marblehead. So my guess is that we will have to choose just one. Any recommendations as to which? I did like the idea of taking the ferry from Boston to Salem, which might sway us that way, but I love what I have read about Marblehead, hence the indecision.
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM

I think there's much more to see and do in Salem and the train and ferry there are much more convenient, frequent and hassle-free than the bus to Marblehead. To me, Marblehead is "just" a quaint town that I could exhaust very quickly (how long can you look at a water view?) If you want to see a town with more to offer, in my opinion, go to Rockport.

FWIW, I wouldn't want to take the bus between Boston and Marblehead...it doesn't go through the best areas.

Search this Thread