Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Getting From LaGuardia to Midtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/getting-from-laguardia-to-midtown-308030/)

hipster70 Apr 17th, 2003 10:20 AM

Getting From LaGuardia to Midtown

Hiya,<BR>I just need to know how to get from LaGuardia Airport to Midtown, roughly 34th street via subway? Or would taking a cab be the easiest? Help! <BR><BR>Thanks!

DavidDJ_ Apr 17th, 2003 10:24 AM

Check out this link for transportation options from LGA to Midtown. Taking the cab would be the easiest alternative. It's about $30 with tolls, not including tip.<BR><BR><BR>http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgtsmain.HTM

suzanne Apr 17th, 2003 10:32 AM

There is no subway from the airport. You'd have to do a NYCT bus/subway combination, which I've never attempted, mainly because of the thought of dragging heavy luggage up those steep bus steps!<BR><BR>Another option is the NY Airport Service bus. It takes you to Lexington or Park Ave. near Grand Central (41st Street). The price is roughly $10 each way. This bus has a space underneath where they put your bags.<BR><BR>Of course the fastest and easiest option is taking a cab. It only takes 20-30 minutes. The cost is about $30 including the toll.

UrbanJames Apr 17th, 2003 11:47 AM

If you are used to carrying your bag(s) on transit, then the bus/subway combination is fine. However, if you have more than one carry-on bag, don't try it, take the cab. <BR><BR>Here are the bus/subway options:<BR><BR>a) There are two buses you can take, the M60 or the Q33. Take whichever shows up first. They both run every 10-15 mins.<BR><BR>b) If the M60 comes first, take it to 30th St/Astoria and change to the N or W train. The bus ride will be about 15-20 mins. Take either the N or W train to 34th St, Manhattan. The subway ride will take about 20 mins. The N/W station is at 34th/Broadway/6th/Herald Square. You can change to most other lines at 42nd/Times Square. <BR><BR>c) If the Q33 comes first, take it to 74th St/Jackson Heights (NOT 82nd St). The ride will take about 25 mins. Transfer to the E or F express trains. Both take about 20 mins to 34th St, but the E trains drops you at 34th St/Eighth Ave and the F at 34th/Sixth Ave. <BR>

rb_travelerxATyahoo Apr 17th, 2003 03:48 PM

I've used the M60. Few public buses today have steep steps, as most motorcoaches do with their lower luggage compartments. With one bag, public transit should serve you well. Purchase a Metrocard from the newstands in the baggage claim area and save on your bus/subway fare (no charge for transfer when using Metrocard)<BR><BR>The shuttle http://www.nyairportservice.com/ will cost as low as $16 if you purchase tix in advance, and will (usually) take ~40 minutes, with drop off at Grand Central &amp; P.A. Bus terminal. You can arrange for transfers to your mid-town hotel, but I suggest other means, or be prepared for MANY stops.

Patrick Apr 17th, 2003 03:57 PM

Your last question in your original post is the bottom line. YES, TAKING A CAB WOULD BE THE EASIEST. It will cost about $25 though with tolls, so it is a bit expensive if you are traveling alone. But if there were two of you, it even beats the cost of two shuttle tickets, normally and is much more direct. By the way, I've often seen people pair up in the taxi line and ask each other to share a cab to midtown.

hipster70 Apr 17th, 2003 08:56 PM

Thanks for all the help...I am actually traveling with my boyfriend and this is our first trip to nyc...It was his idea to take a train/bus..but with all the input..i am thinking forget the hassles and take a cab!

Joannie Apr 18th, 2003 08:29 PM

When I got to the airport, I went to the ground transportation desk. Got a van into the city for $15. They drop people off along the way-I went to 86th street. Came back the same way

Cassandra Apr 19th, 2003 07:56 AM

Cab is cheap and usually pretty quick, even at rush hour if you are going against traffic. For two people, it's probably going to be less than the $15 per person shuttle fee and it'll be door-to-door.

MelP Apr 19th, 2003 07:59 AM

hipster70, since there are two of you then you should probably take a cab then, since two shuttle bus/van fares will cost you the same. I've taken both the M60 and Q33 buses from the airport and it can be very awkward if you have more than carry-on and the M60 is always crowded.

GoTravel Apr 19th, 2003 10:03 AM

Save your sanity instead of a few dollars and take the cab. Can't think of a bigger pain in the ass than schlepping my luggage from bus to train.

MikeJ Apr 19th, 2003 11:57 AM

Is there any thought to trying to extend subway lines to the airport. When I travel to Chicago, one of the better things about arriving at O'Hare or Midway is that CTA trains make it out to both airports. (Orange line for Midway, Blue line for O'Hare). Seems like to would make sense, and could make things a lot easier for people.

Anthony Apr 19th, 2003 12:10 PM

There is a separate automated train system being built that would 1st link JFK to the Jamaica Subway and Long Island railroad stop. It is scheduled to open next yr, with another link to LGA follwing in a couple of yrs.