Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Getting from Chicago Union Station to Chicago ORD Airport

Getting from Chicago Union Station to Chicago ORD Airport

Feb 19th, 2013, 06:11 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 183
Getting from Chicago Union Station to Chicago ORD Airport

Cutting it close on a mid-July visit to both Chicago and Ann Arbor, MI - taking a chance by training back from AA on a Sunday, arriving 4pm at Union Sta and needing to make a plane departing at 7pm from ORD to SF - am I risking fate? (missing my flight) Looking for fastest way to get from Union Sta to airport (taxi? or some other means?)
ThomasSchwarzmann is offline  
Feb 19th, 2013, 06:18 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,569
Taxi would probably be the fastest at around 30 mins/$45. They will be plentful around US. The CTA Blue Line from Clinton would take about 45 mins and cost $2.25.
Citylghts is offline  
Feb 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,885
Taxi will probably your best bet especially when it's Sunday afternoon, but it will be expensive.

The L train will probably get you there at the same time but you will need to walk about 2 city blocks to the nearest blue line station. Don't know your luggage situation so I can't tell you if it's worth the trouble but it will be definitely much cheaper.
AAFrequentFlyer is offline  
Feb 19th, 2013, 06:47 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,218
My advice would be to take the #351 out of Ann Arbor at 7:26AM.
Stash you bag in the locker at Union Station and go have lunch.
Get your bag and then ride the blue line out to the airport before 2PM.
Never assume that Amtrak will get you to CHI at 4PM even on Sunday.
tomfuller is online now  
Feb 19th, 2013, 01:22 PM
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 183
Thanks for the helpful replies - the reason I'm cutting it close with an afternoon return to Chicago is that I have a morning visit with my AA uncle planned - so that brings up the timeliness of Amtrak - can anyone tell me if the train is likely to be close to on time or might it run late into Chicago?
ThomasSchwarzmann is offline  
Feb 19th, 2013, 01:32 PM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,218
There is a 33% chance that it will be on time to Chicago based on the 12 month and January figures. Amtrak does not say how late the other 67% of Michigan Service trains are.
The bulk of the delays are blamed on Norfolk Southern and not Amtrak.
The OTP for Amtrak trains are posted under "Routes" on the Amtrak website.
tomfuller is online now  
Mar 8th, 2013, 06:01 PM
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 68
IMO...I would never attempt this.
sarabaudo is offline  
Mar 8th, 2013, 11:51 PM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 34,842
Seems to me that you've DECIDED to take that particular train. Now that you know the OPTIONS of getting out to the airport I would WAIT until you arrive in Chicago and then decide the best way to get to the airport. You know the taxi will be faster and more expensive and if you don't have a lot of time to spare that becomes the "obvious choice" (to quote a long-time Fodorite).
Dukey1 is offline  
Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:32 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 28
I took the early morning train (the 7:26am) from AA and it was late by 1.5 hours, so I didn't get to chicago until shortly before 2pm.

If you're going to attempt this I would check in online and be prepared to carry on your luggage.

The blue Line will take exactly (if no incident) 45 minutes from Clark and Lake (i just hop on the quincy orange line and take it to Clark line blue line because I'm lazy like that.)

Its' a gamble though because for Ohare you definitely need at least 1 hour to get through security etc. etc. Again depends on your luggage situation because if you need to check luggage I really wouldn't suggest it.

I would check your airline's policy on missing flights. It might be worth it to just pay the fee (when you miss the plane) and get on the next flight. Which is the most expensive out of all your options, but that's only worse case scenario.
psychoidiot is offline  
Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:11 AM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,435
Just a question, but why are you taking the train rather than either flying Detroit/SF or at least Detroit/ORD?

Having lived around there most of my life, the train route is not that scenic, slower and probably costs at least as much as a plane.

But to answer your question, take a cab.
dwdvagamundo is offline  
Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:22 AM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,435
Also, why not rent a car and drive it? Google tells me you could drive AA to ORD in under 4 hours. On Sunday, traffic wouldn't be bad, and it's a pretty straight shot on expressways. You would even have enough time to take US 12, which offers a marginally more scenic route than I94.
dwdvagamundo is offline  
Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:48 PM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,492
yes, you are risking fate.
lincasanova is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
violetduck
United States
2
Jul 19th, 2016 06:33 PM
bea_001
United States
7
Jun 14th, 2013 12:42 PM
MaryDee4649
United States
5
Jun 14th, 2009 07:29 AM
ilana25841
United States
6
Oct 6th, 2008 11:55 AM
Bonnierose
United States
3
Aug 14th, 2005 12:15 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:35 AM.