Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the best stretch of coast for a driving vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of a California vacation -- have never been. We can start in San Francisco or San Diego. Should we try to drive from San Fran to Sandiego? Should we concentrate on a smaller area. We love photo ops, nice restaurants and hotels and the outdoors. Any advice?
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM

If you want photo ops--going North to South--you will have opportunities to pull off for pics, etc. South to north--the ocean will be on the left (not accessible) side.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM

Why are coastal pullouts not accessible from the south to north side? I think it's allowed to angle left to park in a pullout to take pics.

After dozens & dozens & dozens of trips from Carmel to well past Big Sur, I think the best views are actually going north.

To answer the OP's question, the best stretch of coast is from Carmel to about 10 miles north of San Simeon. Concentrate on that area. There are minimal hotels & restaurants in this region - just glorious/pristine coastline - perhaps the best you're likely to see in your life. Stay 2 nights in Carmel, 1-2 nights in Big Sur, and 1 night in San Simeon & see Hearst Castle. Then do whatever else you want to do in California (big vote for San Francisco).

Stu Dudley

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:21 AM

Unless you are an experienced mountain driver with a head for heights, I strongly advise driving south to north. You will almost always be on the inside of curves, next to the mountain, rather than the outside of curves, which sometimes overhang the ocean. This is especially true on CA 1 from SF to Bolinas, where guard rails are rare.

As Stu Dudley says, you can pull into turnoffs to enjoy the views, and in general, the driver will be too busy to enjoy them any other way.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 07:16 AM

Hwy 1 is a challenging drive, it's easier to pull over on the ocean side for views rather than be on the hill side and try to walk (run!) across the hwy for a peek.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 07:30 AM

Here's another vote for the south-to-north passage. Traffic in that stretch that Stu mentioned won't be going faster than about 35--and that's a high-end estimate. It won't be any problem going across the road to take pictures.

Believe me, whichever way you go, the driver will not be able to watch the scenery....
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 07:57 AM

It sounds like you are focusing your trip on points south of San Francisco. When I read the title of your post before reading the body I immediately thought of CA 1 from San Francisco north. My personal favorite is the stretch from Jenner north to Mendocino, but the areas south of Jenner are interesting and gorgeous as well. We just got back from a trip up that way and the coastal scenery is spectacular.

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. We are flexible, only mentioned San Fran - San Diego because we can fly into one and out of another. If we went north of San Francisco we would have to come back to fly out but would consider that.

Many of you have agreed that a great stretch of coast is between Carmel and San Simeon. THis is very helpful. THanks
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM

"Many of you have agreed that a great stretch of coast is between Carmel and San Simeon."

This is one of the great drives in the world. If you haven't done it, add it to your "bucket" list.

You don't have to drive all the way to SD. You could fly out of LAX. The really scenic stretch of the coast ends just north of LA. San Diego is great too but a different animal from the Central Coast. SD is a megaopolis whereas the Big Sur coast is a wilderness and the "greatest meeting of land and sea in the world". Spend as much time as you can in this stretch of coastline.

Going north is a great trip too but if you are first timers to CA, I'd do the Central Coast first. Then, come back and spend a couple of weeks driving north of SF on Hwy 1 and 101 through Mendocino and the Redwoods up to the Oregon Coast. Then, fly home from Portland.