Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Getting conflicting feedback on W New York vs. Royalton. Need more guidance.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:02 AM
apc

My husband and I are going to take our one year anniversary trip to NYC this August. We are staying for 4 nights (Wed-Sun), and I am in the process of trying to decide on a hotel. On our honeymoon, we stayed at the W hotel in San Francisco and LOVED it. It was so different than most hotels.

Anyway, I was able to book the W New York through Quikbook.com for $199/night (regularly costs $349/night). The other W's in New York were quite a bit more. We'd like to stay as close to possible to that price range. No more than $200.

Anyway, reading the reviews under Fodor's rants and raves for the W New York, they weren't all that spectacular. I understand the room can't be that big--not many are in NYC, right? I'm more interested in cleanliness, aesthetics, and atmosphere.

So, I started looking into the Royalton, which I've heard is pretty similar to the W. The reviews there were a mixed bag. When I called, rooms were quoted there for $345/night, but I've heard if you call a few weeks before the date, you could get rooms for much less (like $179/night).

Basically, I'd like to know, has anyone been to either or both and have any insight into this matter? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:03 AM
Agnes

I did not like the W New York the one time I stayed there. Too small (but well decorated) room and high-attitude staff. Never stayed at the Royalton so I can't compare.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:04 AM
apc

Oh no! But was it still clean? Also, aren't most of New York rooms very small?

Has anyone out there stayed at the Royalton? Or maybe have any suggestions for rooms under $200 in midtown?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:16 AM
Agnes

Yes, it was clean. My only beefs were the tiny room (claustrophobic) and the RUDE RUDE RUDE staff. They obviously were pleased with themselves for being hired by the W.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:02 PM
Owen O'Neill

As a general rule hotel rooms in NYC are very small. If in doubt just call the desk and ask for specific dimensions at each facility - they'll have the info at hand. I have no experience with the W Hotels but have stayed at the Paramount which is a a Schrager hotel like the Royalton. My experience with the staff was very favorable and I've heard similar reports from others. His hotels work at achieving a hip non-traditional atmosphere (the Royalton being the most traditional of his NYC properties) but the staff doesn't seem to have that holier than- hipper than thou attitude that can be so offensivre to many of us.