Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Getting around in Detroit! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/getting-around-in-detroit-40608/)

Walter Mar 22nd, 1999 07:01 AM

Getting around in Detroit!

One of the things that I have to consider when planning a trip is getting around. Does Detroit have good public transportation? Or is a car needed to get around?

Linda Mar 22nd, 1999 01:38 PM

Walter, get a car! It really depends where you're staying and where you want to go within the city. There is a "people mover" that was broke the last time I heard. Not too sure about the busses and where you can get a schedule. <BR>

Linda Mar 22nd, 1999 01:39 PM

Walter, get a car! It really depends where you're staying and where you want to go within the city. There is a "people mover" that was broke the last time I heard. Not too sure about the busses and where you can get a schedule. Don't know why anyone would want to go to Detroit. Make sure you get car insurance in case you get car-jacked.

Walter Mar 22nd, 1999 03:45 PM

What do you mean by "people mover"?

Linda Mar 23rd, 1999 03:07 AM

The People Mover is an elevated subway-type rail cars that make a circle of the city, stopping at key points like Greektown, Cobo Hall and Joe Louis Arena. It's pretty limited, but at the same time, it hits the main spots. Expect to be approached by beggars. <BR>

A. Mar 23rd, 1999 05:07 AM

Not sure how much traveling you are going to do, but if it is more than just from hotel to another close spot - my recommendation would be to get a car and a good map!

Sharon Mar 23rd, 1999 04:56 PM

They don't call it the Motor City for nothing...The big three auto companies have effectively kept public transportation out of the picture for years. The people mover doesn't go where people want to go in town and was a pork barrel prize. You need a car, especially if you are not staying downtown, which is more than likely. Some interesting ethnic restaurants in Detroit which has the one of the largest Arab populations (Iraqi) and many Yugoslavians. Polish Yacht Club is an oddity if it still lives (no water anywhere near).

isabel Apr 22nd, 1999 02:33 PM

Hi Walter! I am Spanish and I have visited Detroit several times on business. I did not like people mover. It is OK for using it once, just to have an overvier of the city, but if you are planning to use it several times you will find it is very slow and unpractical, since it only runs on one direction, which means that if you want to go to the previous stop you have to do all the stops between your station and the previous one. I would recommend renting a car. If you finally decide to stay downtown and use people mover, I would suggest taking the company NET to drive you to the city from the airport. they will charge you the same as a normal cab but they will take you in luxury town cars. It is the company I always use when I go to Detroit and I am really very happy with their service. Their phone number is 248 356 89 00. <BR>