Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   getaway to western north Carolina or central Vermont? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/getaway-to-western-north-carolina-or-central-vermont-1022418/)

tripmaker Aug 8th, 2014 06:03 AM

getaway to western north Carolina or central Vermont?

my wife and I are considering north carolina and central vermont for a 3 or 4 night getaway.the drive to either would be about the same.we like the vibe, the hiking and the pure food.we have not been to North Carolina but are considering a place 20 minutes outside of Asheville.it is near to lots of hiking and waterfalls.it seems like there are a lot of options for food in Asheville but do not want to spend a lot of time there because we don't want hectic atmosphere.any input if you have been to either or both would be greatly appreciated.

Cattail Aug 8th, 2014 06:27 AM

Yes, I've been to both; live near central Vermont. I think that it depends on the time of year you want to travel. Foliage season, roughly early-mid October, can be very busy in Vermont. We didn't find Ashville horribly busy in June, though it was busy.

Gretchen Aug 8th, 2014 06:47 AM

I don't think you will find Asheville "hectic". There are lovely places north or south of Asheville just off the Parkway for a pleasant stay.

tripmaker Aug 8th, 2014 06:53 AM

thank you for the responses.any recommendations on where to stay? We tend to like like inns and B&Bs.has anyone stayed at the b&b on tiffany hill? it seems as though there are lots of choices for food in Asheville, does anyone have any recommendations for vegetarian or vegan friendly restaurants in Asheville?

Cattail Aug 8th, 2014 07:35 AM

We ate at a restaurant in Ashville that had some of the best vegetarian food ever, but I can't recall the name! It was on a main street, that I remember....

Gretchen Aug 8th, 2014 08:30 AM

Tupelo Honey is a good restaurant. Undoubtedly has vegetarian/maybe vegan possibilities. But I'm sure (as above) there are others. it's a pretty granola place!!

tripmaker Aug 8th, 2014 09:13 AM

Thanks Cattail and Gretchen! i will check out places on main st, and I have heard of Tupelo honey...
NC sounds like it would be great, but we are torn - in that we loved vermont (waitsfield/warren area, the people, the vibe, the hiking and the FOOD! very pure and clean area...is NC near asheville area comparable?

Gretchen Aug 8th, 2014 11:33 AM

Been 'way too long since I've been to Vermont. It will be cooler in Vermont, if that makes a difference. Asheville has the Blue Ridge Parkway.

tripmaker Aug 8th, 2014 12:27 PM

We actually like it warmer and after thinking of the wacky weather patterns this year my wife is back looking at NC.
How far would Waynesville be from Pisguh, Dupont for waterfalls and Asheville for food?
Looking into Andon Reid B & B in Waynesville

Cattail Aug 8th, 2014 04:55 PM

They're pretty different, at first glance, though there are some similarities. For me temperatures could be a deciding factor too. What month are you thinking of going? We've done some of our best hiking in September and October.

Gretchen Aug 9th, 2014 03:15 AM

Waynesville is fine--maybe not for running back and forth to Asheville, but it isn't impossible. There are lots of nice places in the mountains and good restaurants. You could stay in Brevard and be right IN the Pisgah. Hiking in that area could be to Looking Glass Falls--and then there is Sliding Rock.
Just north of Asheville on the Parkway is Crabtree Falls--a very easy "hike", but pretty falls.
Then you could be in the northern section of the Pisgah at Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Linville, Grandfather Mountain. The LInville Gorge is truly beautiful--as our DD said from one of the overlooks when she was about 3--Don't fall into the Linville Gorgeous.
If you want to fly fish,down around Cherokee on the Indian reservation you can get a daily permit without having to buy the whole NC license thingy.