Search

Georgia road trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Georgia road trip

In November, we will be taking a road trip from Jacksonville to Andersonville. We can take our time, stop for one night on the way. Secondary roads only, no Interstate highways for us: we want to see the real Georgia.

After staying at Americus (Andersonville) for one night we will then make our way to Savannah. We can take our time, stop for one night on the way. Once again, secondary roads only.

Any help with the route and where to stop along the way would be appreciated. We're in our 60's, from Australia, and love history.

Archie
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 10:28 AM

I am not often pushy with travel advice, but I will be here.
In Americus, stay in the Windsor hotel, now owned by Best Western. It is a masterpiece of Victorian architecture, beautiful and a splended bit of history that is in pretty well preserved condition. It is beautifully furnished. You can easily visualise Southern ladies in hoop skirted ball gowns dancing or leaning over the wonderful interior balcony. As a matter of fact, sometimes they do still have balls you can attend.
The dining room is beautiful, but not at all stuffy and the food is fantastic with authentic southern touches. If you think iced tea is just tea and biscuits are just bread, one taste and you will see the difference here. If dressing or stuffing is on the menu, have it. Unfortunately, they are not open for all meals, so check before and plan to be there when the dining room is serving. That is very important.

You are into history? Well, you will be very, very close to a wonderful bit of history. A couple of years ago, DH & I fulfilled a long time dream and traveled to Americus and to Plains to hear our personally, most beloved President, Mr Jimmy Carter, teach Sunday School. Of course, it would not mean that much to you personally, but it is interesting American history and a good look at life as a country farmer in the US in the past. The little town is Plains, just a few minutes drive from Americus. It is only about two blocks long. A few miles further is the boyhood home and farm of Jimmy carter. It is nearly perfectly preserved. This is absolutely worth seeing! Before you go, get the book, An Hour Before Daylight. The home place brings the book to life.

At age 93, Mr Carter has cut back on teaching, but, if you check, and he is doing a lesson, it would be worth the planning and effort to hear him.

My advice is to do some sightseeing on the way, but don't stay someplace on the way. Sleep in history and stay at least two nights in the Windsor in Americus. See Andersonville part of one day and allow about two or three hours to see Plains and Mr Carter's home. Check times it is open.

I assumed you meant Jacksonville, Florida. Please correct if you are coming from a different place.
Also, you are coming in November. Our Thanksgiving falls on Thursday, Nov 22. If you are traveling then, you will need to plan and reserve dinner ahead of time.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Oh my goodness - some excellent suggestions there!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this.

(Yes - departing from Jacksonville, Fla.)

Can't wait!

Archie
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 02:33 PM

Have you been to St Augustine, just south of Jacksonville? If you have time, it would be nice to include at the beginning of the trip.

I just went back to look at your profile. You have certainly seen a lot of back ways of the US, and obviously already know the US, about holidays, etc.

Do you have family in the US still?

Have you been to Asheville, NC? It is a lovely and the development of the working village that supported Biltmore, and was in turn supported by Biltmore, is interesting as well as the weaving industry and the house.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 03:59 PM

I hopeCharleston is on your "way".
I would also hope Birmingham and montgomery, alabama is.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sassafrass

Well - I'm originally from the US (Detroit) - moved to Australia in 1972. My Australian husband is very keen on US History - knows much more than I - so most of our trips to the US have a history theme. Yes - I still have family in Michigan.

We're actually commencing this holiday in Key West, would you believe - and we'll make our way up the coast as far as Jacksonville, Fla, (St Augustine included) and then head inland. He read the book 'Andersonville' so it will be a destination. We'll then make our way to Savannah and then head north again.

I must read up on Asheville! Thank you for that!

Once again, thank you for your suggestions.

(It's funny - only the other day I was discussing US presidents with one of my friends. He asked me who I thought was one of the best US presidents - and I said Carter.)
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 04:44 PM

Do not miss the Southern Poverty Law Center Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery by Maya Lin--OH, and its civil rights history==it's right there for you to fathom on a scale you could never imagine.. It is the most moving memorial I've ever seen (but her Vietnam Wall would have to be equally so).
It would be hard to "start" in Key West form Australia, methinks. There may be a better way to cover territory, but whatever.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow - lots of great suggestions. Thank you.

I should probably say we're flying back out of Raleigh.

Thank you again.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 01:36 PM

You'll have to drive on one side or the other of the Okefenokee Swamp. I've never visited it, but my nephew has been there on a boating--maybe canoe--trip to see alligators and the like.
Some people like Thomasville in SW Georgia. I've been there once to visit friends and didn't find it that appealing, but maybe they have special events that serve as the attraction.
Eufaula, Alabama is out of your way. It is known for its historic houses, more scenic in dogwood/azalea time than November.
I visited Andersonville years ago. I'm glad I did, but I seem to remember it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Wish I could remember why.
You can pass through several towns known for one small business or another, but I don't know if they have any tours or visitors centers--like Claxton known for its fruitcakes.
You'll be passing through peach, pecan, and vidalia sweet onion territory, but not the season.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 02:21 PM

Wonderful decision to visit Andersonville in November. I am a Georgia native and resident; Andersonville is one place I always recommend. Also Plains -- friends and I stayed at the inn in Plains the night before Jimmy Carter's Sunday School class. I've heard good things about the Windsor Hotel so I won't argue about that but here is my trip report if you are interested: Plains, GA trip

Very much agree about reading Jimmy Carter's book, An Hour Before Daylight, too.

You'll be going very close to the Okefenokee Swamp & November would be a great time to visit it. But, it would take a good bit of time and you mentioned history as your main interest. From Andersonville, you will only be a little over an hour from FDR's home at Warm Springs. HIghly advise a visit! Warm Springs is only a few miles from Callaway Gardens, which is a nice nature resort, if you are looking for a place to stay.

Montgomery would be interesting but it is the wrong direction for you. Try Macon instead; it has a lot of history, too -- the Ocmulgee Indian Mounds, the Harriett Tubman Museum, and the Hay House, etc.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - all of you!!

We can't wait to visit that neck of the woods.

SO much history!!

Jane