Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Georgia or South Carolina Coast? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/georgia-or-south-carolina-coast-961681/)

madnama Jan 6th, 2013 11:50 AM

Georgia or South Carolina Coast?

Hi all!

I come to Fodor when I am in need of suggestions I trust. I recently moved to Augusta from Idaho (having used Fodor for several trips out west) and have a few girlfriends coming down from Illinois with their significant others to visit. The baby of our group o' friends (who is quite the girly-girl compared to me) is turning 30 and she wants to experience southern beauty.

We only have 3 days or so, but she is wanting good food, a little night life, maybe some shopping, and being by the ocean. I know this may not be the typical things people are looking for on fodor, but I am hoping the group can provide suggestions. She has seen shows on Savannah and wants to "feel" that southern charm. I haven't done much exploring so I am at a loss in giving insight as the person in the south. We are thinking about renting a cottage as there will be 5-8 of us.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Amanda

Gretchen Jan 6th, 2013 12:43 PM

Charleston Charleston Charleston!!

starrs Jan 6th, 2013 01:00 PM

Charleston

tomfuller Jan 6th, 2013 03:09 PM

Charleston! Brunswick GA stinks because of a big paper mill.

padams421 Jan 6th, 2013 04:03 PM

Another vote for Charleston. You might consider Isle of Palms or Kiawah for lodging for you want to be directly on the beach.

Continental_Drifter Jan 6th, 2013 06:22 PM

I think you ladies might enjoy Kiawah with some day trips into Charleston for your shopping and some dining.

Hilton Head can be a great trip too, but for your group, I'd go with Charleston.

I'm still a big Savannah fan, but the beaches on Tybee Island are not as nice as Kiawah. St. Simons would be wonderful if you really want a Georgia beach.

Gretchen Jan 7th, 2013 04:51 AM

NOT Hilton Head. Soulless subdivisions.
You don't need to go as far as Kiawah for a beach. Wild Dunes at charleston would be close and fun--and she doesn't say the time of year.

starrs Jan 7th, 2013 04:59 AM

I agree about Hilton Head. soulless.

Brunswick? Why mention Brunswick? It doesn't meet any of the OP's criteria?

jent103 Jan 7th, 2013 07:18 AM

Kiawah is great - my family always goes there for beach vacations. But if you plan in to be in town a lot, I agree that you might look into Wild Dunes/Isle of Palms instead - it's closer. Kiawah is a 30-45-minute drive from downtown Charleston.

Dickie_Gr Jan 8th, 2013 07:02 AM

Sullivans Island fits the bill.

Each Sea Island has its own defined culture.

Sullivans is solid middle market with good restaurants for evenings out. It is also close to ( as everyone quite rightly posts above) Charleston, Charleston, Charleston.

Kiawah is more up market and a little lacking in soul.

Hilton Head is the Starbucks of the sea islands (not a good thing).

iceeu2 Jan 8th, 2013 08:44 AM

Definitely Charleston!