Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Georgia Fodorites - Last week of Frabel glassworks exhibit at Botanical Gardens (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/georgia-fodorites-last-week-of-frabel-glassworks-exhibit-at-botanical-gardens-691123/)

starrsville Mar 25th, 2007 08:24 PM

Georgia Fodorites - Last week of Frabel glassworks exhibit at Botanical Gardens

http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.or...nt/orchid_daze

The exhibit closes on April 1st. Go if you can!

Absolutely amazing glasswork nestled in with the orchids. Orchids, stylized people, nymphs, lizards, glass baskets, a breathtaking centerpiece of 55 clowns of all things. Just amazing artistry amid the natural wonders of the Fuqua conservatory.

Today was extra special because our group had a private tour by the artist, but the exhibit stands alone - and the Botanical Gardens are gorgous. Of course, it was an 89 degree day today - an incredible March day in Atlanta.

Go, go, go if you can!

I doublebacked and upgraded my admission today to a membership. The Gardens stay open until 7 in the summer and will be a great place to relax and wander throughout the year.

starrsville Mar 26th, 2007 07:38 AM

topping so k or any other Atlanta area Fodorites will know about it and hopefully can go this week or weekend.

Floridafran Mar 26th, 2007 12:27 PM

starrs,

My daughter and I are driving up from Pensacola this Friday, and my mom and sister are coming from Jacksonville, to see the exhibit and attend the orchid sale on Saturday.

I know it will probably be a zoo, but this is the only time we could do it. And I'd rather see it with a mob, than not see it at all. Having a chance to buy some new orchids is icing on the cake, so to speak.

Will they let me take photos?

Fran

starrsville Mar 26th, 2007 01:43 PM

Sunday was pretty much a mob - but it was worth it! Yes, you can take photos. We had several with cameras and I snapped away using my camera phone.

There is a wall of orchids in the entry that is a gorgeous backdrop for photos of your group.

His orchids in the cases are spectacular, but so are the orchid "baskets" overhead, the lizards on the rock wall and glass orchids throughout. BTW, I asked some questions about the installation and the big piece is made of 3 parts with 55 clowns that fit in the structure (it's only 550K if you want to bring out your checkbook!). I asked if they heard glass crass during the installation - and the answer was "yes". One of the baskets dropped during installation from about 15 feet up - and landed on a rock. Only the section that actually hit the rock broke.

An amazing exhibit. It would be wonderful if it traveled to other botanical gardens.

Enjoy!!!

starrsville Mar 26th, 2007 02:19 PM

The BG offers a tour at 1:30 on Saturdays.

starrsville Mar 28th, 2007 10:35 AM

topping
go if you can

starrsville Mar 29th, 2007 09:05 PM

topping

Floridafran Apr 3rd, 2007 09:38 AM

starrs,

Just got back from Atlanta last evening. My daughter didn't get to go, and she really missed out.

Loved the Frabel exhibit! And the gardens themselves were gorgeous. So much in bloom right now. I took about 200 photos and could have taken more if my darling niece hadn't been urging us to keep moving.

By the way, they extended the exhibit through this coming weekend so people still have a chance to go. The entry fee is only $12.00 and the lady told us about a $2.00 discount coupon so it only cost us $10.00.

I felt guilty taking the discount, the exhibit alone was worth more than that, and the flowers and grounds were beautiful and worth every penny. I dropped a few dollars in the donations case on the way out. That's all I had left after making my orchid purchases. But I came home with only 3 new lovelies to add to my ever-growing collection.

Folks if you have the chance - go - and get there early. We were waiting when they opened at 9:00. By the time we left, after noon, the parking lot was full and they were having to shuttle people up from the remote lot. But early on we had the place almost to ourselves.

Fran

starrsville Apr 3rd, 2007 10:51 AM

Fran, I'll email you a photo of our group with Hans. I'm so glad you had a great time. I went back to the counter and bought a membership. Can't wait to just wander around and relax during down times in Atlanta throughout the year.

It's a "maybe" that his exhibit may go to other gardens. It would be FABULOUS if it did. His work is spectacular!

Floridafran Apr 3rd, 2007 01:13 PM

Starrs,

If you should hear that it's going elsewhere, will you let me know? My husband and daughter are both kicking themselves for missing it. And my daughter hasn't yet seen the book I bought. Also, my stepdaughter just told me today she would have loved to see it. If I'd have known she could have gone with me.

For dh and me it would need to be reasonably close, but my daughter's husband travels all over the U.S. on business and she often goes with him. She would have more opportunities to catch it somewhere.

Fran

starrsville Apr 3rd, 2007 01:16 PM

I think attendence at the Botanical Gardens (in the middle of the winter) was up significantly and other Gardens are interested. If I hear something "for sure" I'll let you know.

I missed Niki in the Gardens and I know it traveled elsewhere.