Georgetown Area vs. Dupont Circle

Aug 17th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Georgetown Area vs. Dupont Circle

Interested in info re: where to stay, what to do (restaurants, shopping, nightlife) and other FUN -- for couple in their 30's -- Totally unfamiliar with the city but boyfriend would love to visit Georgetown. Bed and breakfast the way to go or a deluxe hotel in DC?
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I love both areas though I would opt to stay in Dupont Circle for convenience as there is a Metro station there and none in G'Town. From Dupont Circle it is easy to get to G'Town in the evening on the Metro Connection which is a shuttle bus that costs $1 each way.

Aug 17th, 2005, 08:22 AM

The girls are undeniably prettier and more available in Georgetown. The bars are better, too.
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:45 AM

I post a short rundown of my trip to D.C. which may help.
We did a lot in the time and some times only got a flavour of the place but it was a great trip, thank you D.C.

Day 1 7th. July
Arrived around 6pm. Traffic busy as security in D.C. had been stepped up due to the London bombing that day. Booked in to hotel (Capitol Hilton on 16th.) room was great, looked right on to the White House 2 blocks away. Then went to eat then had an early night after long day travelling.
Day 2 8th. July
Went to American History Museum (V. Good) Then on to the Old Post Office, went up lift to top and had great views over city. Then on to the Aquarium this was the only disappointment of our trip, not a lot to it. It may be better for family’s with small children. On way back went past White House to get some photos.
Day 3 9th. July
Took a Trolley Tour and went to Arlington Cemetery, when in Arlington Cemetery I would recommend using the Tourmobile buses as it is quite hilly and a big area to cover. After Arlington we continued with the Trolley tour of the City. Great interesting day.
Day 4 10th. July
Walked from hotel to Lincoln Memorial then on to Vietnam memorial, Korean Memorial, W.W.II Memorial and Washington Monument. Finished off at the Holocaust Museum which was incredible and very moving. This was our longest trip and quite tiring but well worth it
Day 5 11th. July
Took metro and spent the day at the National Zoo. Great day out!
Day 6 12th. July
Took Metro to Union Station, beautiful building, plus shops and restaurants. Went on to Library of Congress and had a guided tour. What a magnificent building, a must see! Then walked round Capitol building.
Day 7 13h. July
Walked to F.B.I. Building but closed to public for renovation. Went on to Spy Museum, really good, spent over 4 hours there. Then on to Fords Theatre and the Peterson House. Interesting talk at Theatre on history of building and events.
Day 8 14. July
Took bus to Georgetown. My wife enjoyed that! Plenty of good shops and places to eat!
Day 9 15h. July
Went to Air and Space Museum and American Indian Museum. Both great and a must see.
Day 10 16h. July
Visited the natural History Museum. Great place for families, so much to appeal to all ages.

For breakfast we went to Starbucks, Cosi, Firehook Bakeries, Corner Bakery, Union Station
& Caribou Coffee. I thought the best was Caribou Coffee but they were all good.

For Dinner we went to Bertuccis, Luna, Californian Pizza House, Heritage Indian Restaurant all on Connecticut towards Dupont Circle, also went to Hard Rock Café on my Son’s birthday which as great . When they found out it was his birthday they gave him a free sundae and made him sit in a chair in the middle of the café and got everyone sing happy birthday to him. He will not forget that night!
I thought the best was Luna, great food and tremendous service. We went there three times!
Our server Alice is going to Paris shortly on vacation, have a great one Alice!
My son would of course argue for Hard Rock Café but he thought Luna was great too.

Hope this is of help, I would also suggest staying in Georgetown as there is more to do at night and all the shops and resturants seem to be there. getting in to the city was easy on the metro or the Circular bus seem to run every 15 min and only cost $1
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Here's another vote for Dupont Circle. It's a Scene - enjoy people watching, street muscians, fun boutiques on Conn. Ave.

Oh, that Shane, what a Guy! Do you WANT your boyfriend to notice the "girls are prettier and more available in G'town" feature? Couldn't resist commenting on that one.

There's a great place to stay that has more atmosphere than any fancy hotel (which goodness knows there are plenty of in DC.) It's the Tabard Inn on N Street, a short walk from the Metro. Neat lounge, great food and drinks.

Up the hill north of the Circle is Adams Morgan which you may find intriguing - lots of ethnic food and some fun clubs. Don't know how your taste runs but does the name "Chief Ike's Mambo Room" sound like fun? Or Madam's Organ (play on Adams Morgan) or Polly Esther…

Enjoy your stay!
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:34 AM

I would definitly stay in Georgetown. I lived there for a summer and loved it. The best place to stay is the Four Seasons in Georgetown. It has a great location and spa/pool. The Westin on M street is nice also. Georgetown is the trendy place to be. There are good shops and restaurants. Sequoia on the Potomac is one of my favorite spots and The Sea Catch on the C&O canal is great too. have a great time, it is a really fun city!
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Georgetown hasn't been trendy in over 25 years. Nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded.

I would suggest you stay in the Dupont area and visit Georgetown one evening so your BF can see it.

B&B vs. deluxe hotel is really a matter of your personal style/preference. a great B&B is Dupont at the Circle. A small hotel I suggest is the Tabard Inn.
The world class on staff baker & pastry chef at Tabard is a nice perk for breakfasts, etc.

http://www.dupontatthecircle.com

http://www.tabardinn.com
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Visitors usually enjoy walking around Georgetown some, or eating there and walking around at night -- but I wouldn't stay there, it's too inconvenient, as others mentioned. It's full of young kids and college students.

I don't like B&Bs myself and would never choose that over a deluxe hotel, but that's up to you. I'd go for Hotel Monaco or Topaz or something, not some fussy overpriced B&B which is less comfortable than a hotel. Why do people even want B&Bs in a large city, I just don't get it.
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Ditto on Dupont Circle. As a traveler, it would be that much easier with a Metro stop nearby.

You can take in Georgetown for an entire day in my opinion -- go through the campus and historic neighborhood, do some shopping, relax at Washington Harbor. At night, you can do some more shopping, dine at a restaurant, and lounge in a club or take in a concert at Blues Alley.

After that, you travel the rest of DC with Dupont Circle as your hub/portal. Don't mess with a shuttle every time you want to take the Metro to explore DC.