Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

george washington university hotel with teenagers

Jul 26th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

I am scheduled for a conference at George Washington University in September. Would like to find a hotel close that has a suite with a door so I can sleep when they do not. Any suggestions? Also, I am looking at activities for them during the day while I am at the seminar - anything supervised for teens near GWU or at any of the museums?
Jul 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM

We stayed at the Doubletree Suites, about a block and a half from GWU and the Foggy Bottom metro station. It had a living room, separate bedroom and bath, full kitchen, 2 televisions. An older property but well maintained. Across the street was the GWU Inn which I think has suites as well. There is a Safeway at the Watergate complex about a block away for groceries and other essentials. Good luck.
Jul 26th, 2006, 02:50 PM

I've stayed at the GWU Inn which has one-bedroom suites with complete kitchens. Quite comfortable and with a very helpful staff. Doubletree across the street looked good too.

Jul 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Mature teens? You could get them some maps and Metro maps, a little cash and set them free! The GW area is safe for walking, lots of students about.

Baby teens? Maybe see if the university might have any students available as 'guides' for a day, so that the teens could feel they were not being babysat. And there are so many nifty things to see and do in D.C. that they'll be very busy.

In fact, you could get a few guidebooks and let them plan their own days, given that you can find someone to go with them, to be, well, in charge.
Jul 26th, 2006, 03:20 PM

The Embassy Suites is not far either.
Jul 26th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the prompt responses - they are baby teens - 13 - so I do not want to leave them on their own too much. GWU students as guides is a great suggestion.