Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Gelato in Chicago (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gelato-in-chicago-520064/)

mscarls Apr 10th, 2005 10:48 AM

Gelato in Chicago

Are there any good places to get gelato in Chicago in the Magnificent Mile area -- like near Chicago Place or Water Tower Place? Thanks.

mscarls Apr 11th, 2005 09:44 AM

My girlfriend said to ask about good places for ice cream also.

JJ5 Apr 11th, 2005 10:33 AM

There's some great ice cream places in Chicago, mscarls, but I know the South/ SouthWest burbs more and don't know all the locations. Do a www.metromix.com and search in the foodie section on ice cream and you will probably get some good downtown answers. Oberweis and others have real buttercream content ice cream. There has to be several downtown.

There is a Chicago Southside classic that ran on Western Ave./Evergreek Park for about 60s years- the Rainbow Cone- and then spread out. I think you can get it maybe one place downtown now or in SW burbs. Its a regular cone with five different flavors of excellent ice cream wedged in tiers, not snowballed shaped. Real cherry in the vanilla/cherry part, real pistachios in the "green"- chocolate, strawberry, and orange sherbert are in their also.

Don't really know if the downtown area was ever really a big "ice cream place". More popcorn, like Garrett's. Do remember some ice cream sandwichs on State St. that was hand made and delish
- but long gone now.

Kristi Apr 11th, 2005 12:37 PM

There's a Ghirardelli ice cream parlor at 830 N. Michigan, next to the Border's bookstore, across the street from Water Tower Place. I had a pretty yummy sundae there the other day. It's roots are, of course, in San Francisco, but it's honestly the only place near the Mag Mile that I can think of for ice cream.

I have never made it to Margie's which is supposed to have terrific ice cream, they are outside the Mag Mile area though, you can find the addresses and directions on Metromix.

Near the State St. shopping area, there is a Ben & Jerry's on Randolph and the Marshall Field's has Australian Homemade ice cream (have never tried it).

Gelato? You might have to go to an Italian restaurant to find that and then it won't be cheap. I had some yummy stuff at Osteria Via Stato the other day, $4 for a couple of very, very small scoops.

annahead Apr 11th, 2005 04:19 PM

Ghiradelli is the only ice cream parlor I know of in that area, but as someone else mentioned it's not local. For a local treat Margie's and Zephyr are fantastic, but will require you to either drive or take public transportation....

seetheworld Apr 11th, 2005 05:37 PM

We had gelato at Lil Appetito located outside of the John Hancock building (there is a plaza with a water feature and steps and outdoor seating).

While I can't say it's the best gelato I have ever tasted, it was a treat nonetheless. We especially enjoyed sitting outdoors, resting our tired feet and watching the world pass us by. Have a great time in Chicago!

ssachida Apr 11th, 2005 06:09 PM

I second the Italian deli/bakery at the base of the Hancock bldg. A little further north at North and State is a "Cold Stone Creamery" - really good ice cream but not a gelataria.
There's always Cafe Gelato at Division and Damen, but thats about 3 miles west and half a mile north of the mag mile.
I think Ghirardeli is over-rated. Yes they do build nice sundaes, but the base ice cream itself is pretty uninspiring. If you do go into the burbs, there's nothing to beat Oberwiess.

Kristi Apr 11th, 2005 07:15 PM

I forgot about Cold Stone Creamery, there's a closer one to the Mag Mile at 21 W. Ontario.

I wouldn't go to Ghirardelli just for the ice cream but if you have a hankering for a sundae, they are pretty good.