Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Gear for 16 month old in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gear-for-16-month-old-in-nyc-606253/)

jixichick Apr 8th, 2006 01:34 PM

Gear for 16 month old in NYC

My husband and I are going to NYC with our 15 month old in a couple of weeks. On our many previous trips (before baby) we always took taxis to different areas and then walked, walked walked. Now with a baby, is it really necessary to bring a car seat? I've never seen anyone putting one in a taxi on my previous trips and couldn't imagine that "natives" schlep around with a car seat. We were going to just rent a car but with parking and all it would be unreasonably expensive. I did purchase an umbrella stroller to get around in while we're there. How do other folks get around with a baby in NYC? Thanks.

Tanya

Gekko Apr 8th, 2006 01:50 PM

For the love of all things holy, do not rent a car.

For touring around with a 15 month old, I'd suggest on of those backpack-type things for your husband, which will allow you to access both the bus and subway.

If you're just walking, take the stroller. (Certainly many many New Yorkers schlep their strollers on the bus & subway, but, jeez, it's a pain in the neck and you'll likely be loathed by those around you.)

Also, taxis and for-hire vehicles and their passengers are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seatbelts.

(Some parents I know ask their cab drivers to stay off the FDR and West Side highway -- crashes at those speeds are quite different from a fender-bender on a crowded city street, where speeds are generally very slow.)

Enjoy NYC!

nytraveler Apr 8th, 2006 04:24 PM

First do not stay near Times Square - way too noisy and crowded. Suggesst you stay in a more residential neighborhood (there you can use strollers on the street - in most central business areas baby has a chance of being stepped on/stroller kicked becaue no one is lookng DOWN as they walk). Also - you will find many more child friendly restaurants - esp if you eat dinner early - before 8pm.

I would do the upper West side - but you could do the Village/downtown or upper east side.

Cabs are exempt from car seat laws (although if you're using one on the plane I would also use it in the cab going to and fro the airport). For subways, buses it's easier with a carrier - but with two you can take the stroller as long as it folds - one person carrries the baby and one the stroller. Just don;t use either buses or subways at rush hour since it's very unlikely you will find any seats.

And it is perfectly possible to do the City with a toddler - a lot of people live here with babies. Just be aware you need to take lots of baby breaks and avoid things with long lines if possible.

stellablue Apr 8th, 2006 04:25 PM

I agree with the backpack. We also bought a "portable" car seat from One Step Ahead. It is just a solid plastic back (no bottom - baby sits on the actual seat) with a 5-point harness that you loop a lap-belt through. It's about $30, and can be packed in a suitcase. Works great in cabs - just tell the driver to start the meter while you strap it in and they won't care how long you take (practice at home before you go). It is not nearly as safe as a car-seat but much safer than holding a baby on your lap. We've used it in the Caribbean as well when we don't want to lug a car seat and stroller, but want some peace of mind.

jixichick Apr 8th, 2006 05:34 PM

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I feel better about not lugging a car seat. I might get that portable seat from One Step Ahead (I had seen it and thought it might be a decent compromise). I can't wait to go to NYC - it's my favorite place to visit!! I am sure our son will enjoy it too.

Tanya