Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Gdand Canyon,South rim to Zion National Park to Vegas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gdand-canyon-south-rim-to-zion-national-park-to-vegas-837613/)

pbovard Apr 27th, 2010 09:59 AM

Gdand Canyon,South rim to Zion National Park to Vegas

We are staying in the Grand canyon park at the south rim On May 14 &15 . We plan to travel around east side to the north rim on the 16th(we think this will take about 5 hours?) and then go on to Zion National Park for the night. Is this even do-able in one day. If we do not get in at Zion Park where are other good places to stay in the area. We can only be there one whole day--What are the most important things to see? How long will it take to get back to Vegas the next day? Never been here before . Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

spirobulldog Apr 27th, 2010 11:15 AM

While Grand Canyon has the most "wow" factor, Zion is really more of a complete park and I like it far better than GC. GC is good if you intend on doing some hiking into the canyon or rafting. Zion has many things to do and see.

I would hike Angels Landing early in the morning (allow 4-6 hours). Have lunch under the big tree @ Zion Lodge. In the afternoon hike The Narrows. You will probably want to drive through the tunnel. You mightS want to see Checkerboard Mesa. Canyon Overlook Trail and Emerald Pool Trails are nice, but not nearly as good as Angels Landing or The Narrows. If you haven't read about these hikes, then surf the net, as they are unique hikes that may not be for everyone. Most folks that are serious hikers rate these as two of the best hikes in the US. I haven't stayed at Desert Pearl in Springdale, but that is probably the best place to stay. We loved Zion Lodge and staying "in park" is very nice.

Myer Apr 27th, 2010 12:22 PM

You will be passing right thru Page, AZ from the South Rim to North Rim, Zion, etc.

Look into Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon (Upper). They are do not miss sights.

Otis_B_Driftwood Apr 27th, 2010 01:08 PM

The Arizona Department of Transportation just announced today that the highway to the North Rim will open on May 15. If you are planning to make this drive and spend some time at the North Rim and then drive to Zion, well that is a very long day. You would be best advised to get a very early start.

Make sure you stop at the Colorado River and walk out on the Navajo Bridge. It's a great place to take a rest stop on your way to the North Rim.

If I had only one day in Zion, I'm not sure I would take the time to hike to Angel's Landing unless that is the main goal of your visit. There are many other things to do and see. It's too bad you don't have a few more days.

Bill_H Apr 27th, 2010 02:20 PM

<b>You will be passing right thru Page, AZ from the South Rim to North Rim</b>

It's much faster to take 89-A thru Marble Canyon, bypassing Page. Takes about four hours driving from SR visitor center to north Kaibab trailhead.

<b>We plan to travel around east side to the north rim on the 16th(we think this will take about 5 hours?) and then go on to Zion National Park for the night. Is this even do-able in one day.</b>

Do-able with a very early start like Otis sez, but pretty rushed. Maybe a better plan is to enjoy the east rim drive when you leave the south rim, skip the north rim but drive thru Page and then on to Zion in time to see some sights there by sunset?

pbovard Apr 28th, 2010 06:07 AM

thank you so much Bill,Otis, Myer, and Spirobulldog! all of your advice is very helpful and greatly appreciated!!! Also, I have rented a economy car -probably a ford focus--will this do with the roads just being opened ? or are they too rugged? Will a small car work? THANKS SOOO MUCH!! pbovard

Bill_H Apr 28th, 2010 07:39 AM

Small car works fine, roads are all paved.

GC north rim is over 8,000 ft elevation and gets heavy winter snowfall (I'm guessing 12-15 ft this year since we had many winter storms). They simply don't plow that road inside the park due to $$ and staff considerations and wait until mid/late May (when the snow is not an issue) to open the lodge, ranger stations, and side roads on the north rim. So no problems driving once the road is opened.

If you still want to do both south and north rims in one day, then head out I would suggest staying in Kanab instead of pushing to Zion that night. Then the next morning drive into Zion, which will be a spectacular morning drive compared to what you would have missed if driving in the night before. There are a couple of decent hotels in Kanab, couple of good places to eat too. This will still give you plenty of time to explore Zion that day.

MichelleY Apr 28th, 2010 09:45 AM

With you time constraints, I would skip the North Rim and head to Zion. You will need the extra time to enjoy it.

MY

muirie Apr 30th, 2010 09:27 PM

Unless you're too keen on visiting the north rim of GC, I'd say you should spend that time at Bryce canyon nat park. Its about 1.5hrs from Zion and its absolutely brilliant.

Also, as you drive from GC south rim to zion, there are some really interesting rock formations en-route mostly to the right side of the road. If you're not travelling alone, have someone take pics for you