GC North Rim, Page & Lake Powell

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to this area the last week of May. We will arrive in Vegas around 8:30 AM their time and will drive to the North Rim and spend the night. How long can I expect the drive to take? We will leave the next morning to drive to Page. Planning to book the afternoon float trip on the Colorado. How long should I plan for the drive from the North Rim to Page?

We would like to see Rainbow Bridge and have been planning to take the boat trip. I know it is now an all day trip. Can somebody that has done it tell me if you enjoyed the trip? Is it worth spending all day plus the cost of the trip?

We then plan to visit Antelope Canyon and stop at Horseshoe Bend the next day before driving back to Vegas. We won't be in any hurry since our flight back isn't until the next afternoon. Is there anything else we should plan to do in this area? We have been to Zion.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:32 PM

You will get conflicting driving times from Las Vegas to the North Rim. It will take anywhere from 5 to 6 hours to drive. A lot will depend on if you get stuck behind a slow moving RV on the mountain road between Jacob's Lake and the N. Rim of the canyon. You are only going to have a few hours at the rim.

The afternoon Colorado float trips start at 1:30 P.M., but plan on getting there at least a 1/2 hour earlier to check in and board the buses.

I would leave the North Rim no later than 7:00 A.M. to reach Page, AZ. Again you could be at the mercy of a slow moving RV. The 121 miles could take 4 hours to drive.

The next day I would do the hike to Horseshoe Bend first for two reasons. First it will be cooler in the day for the hike and second, the closer you are to noon for the Upper Antelope Canyon tour, the higher the sun will be in the sky for light into the canyon. I sure hope you aren't going to be at Lake Powell over the Memorial Day weekend...can you say ZOO!

I've taken the boat trip on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge twice and LOVED every minute both times. Of course, Rainbow Bridge is magnificant, but just being on the lake all day is fun to me. Those red rock cliffs, natures tapistry and that BLUE water combination are my favorite things. There is now a 3 mile round trip hike requried to see Rainbow Bridge because the lake levels are so low, we didn't have to do that the two times we went. Infact, the last time we went we could see Rainbow Bridge from the top deck of the boat where we sat to eat the bag lunch they provided. We were also taken down two other canyons. I'm not sure where you planned to squeeze this into your trip.

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/lakepowell2001.htm

It's about a 5 hour drive from Lake Powell to Las Vegas. These 280 miles aren't mountainous and windy like the roads to the N. Rim. If you do Antelope Canyon and the hike, you aren't going to have much time, but by all means, at least drive though Zion National Park.

Utahtea
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea - your replies are a great help to so many of us!

We are taking this trip the week just before Memorial Day. Since our flight arrives in Vegas early in the day I hope to arrive at the North Rim in the early afternoon. We have no plans to hike into the canyon, just want to enjoy the views from the overlooks. We have been to the South Rim and want to see the views from the North. We are staying Wednesday night at the North Rim and will drive to Page on Thursday for our float trip.

We plan to take the trip to Rainbow Bridge on Friday. You said you haven't take the 3 mile hike. Do you know where I can find out more information about how strenous it is? Walking 3 miles doesn't necessarily bother me, but I might have problems if the terrain is rough. The pictures I have seen of the Lake are quite beautiful so I think we will enjoy spending the day on the water.

We will leave Page on Saturday morning. As you have warned me, I am prepared for traffic, although we'll be headed away from the lake so hopefully it won't be too bad. We plan to stop at Horseshoe Bend after leaving the hotel and then go to Antelope Canyon. As I said, we won't be in any hurry to get back to Vegas on Saturday, so I wondered about other interesting places to stop on the way back to Vegas. We have been to Zion so I'm not planning to stop there again. I've driven before on Highway 89 past Zion and wondered about taking Highway 389 from Fredonia back to Hurricane. Have you visited Pipe Spring National Monument and Coral Pink Sand Dunes? Are they worth a side trip?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Since I haven't done the hike, I have no idea. It does get HOT in May, so go prepared. Carry water on the hike. Here's the most information I could find.

http://www.lakepowell.com/tours_scenic_cruises.php

Also, I just read that the winter storm has damaged the trail to Rainbow Bridge and it has been closed. I would think it will be open by May.

http://www.nps.gov/glca/News/2005-01.pdf

We've never done Coral Pink Sand Dunes state park. We've done other sand dunes so never had the desire. Pipe Springs is about the history of the Morman settlers and worth a short stop. This route has some good scenery. When you reach Colorado City, keep an eye out for people. The woman all wear long sleeves, long dresses and long hair. Men have long sleeves to. There is a spin off of the Morman church that still pratices bigamy that lives here.

You will also pass a Texaco Station about 11 miles before Hurricane. This area is called Apple Valley and you can see views of Zion from here.

Utahtea
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 05:49 AM

The trail to Rainbow Bridge is not rough terrain at all. It just gets very hot because you are in a slot canyon. BIG payoff at the end. Carry lots of drinking water. There was someone on the dock who gave out "misters" when we were there. Great all day boat trip.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

laurieb_nyny -

Thanks for easing my mind about the trail to Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure the boat trip will be very scenic, but I would hate to get there and not be able to make it to the bridge. We each have a small insulated bag that we plan to take along with water so hopefully we will be prepared. How long is the boat docked for the trip to the bridge and back? My daughter is photography bug so she sometimes tends to spend a lot of time taking pictures.