Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   GC - Bright Angel rooms - Confused (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gc-bright-angel-rooms-confused-691822/)

Myer Mar 28th, 2007 07:11 AM

GC - Bright Angel rooms - Confused

My original reservation was for a room with toilet and sink but without shower (all they had available).

I called every couple of days hoping for a cancellation.

This morning I was told they had a cabin (duplex or triplex - ?) that had all the regular amenities including shower.

The reservation clerk said all buildings are within close walking distance to each other and the rim.

Could somebody who has been there explain the various room types and locations.

Thanks.

FainaAgain Mar 28th, 2007 08:35 AM

From what I remember - there is a main building with reception, and small scattered buildings, all along the rim.

starrsville Mar 28th, 2007 08:45 AM

There are 4 pages of photos on www.tripadvisor.com. Take a look at them at them to see what they cabins look like - inside and out - and to get an idea of their distance from the rim.

NewbE Mar 28th, 2007 08:45 AM

The cabins are indeed free-standing little buildings grouped along the rim a few steps from Bright Angel Lodge. They are rustic--no TV or phone--but cozy, fully furnished, and each has its own full bathroom.

The rooms are inside the lodge, and as you already know, some have toilet but no shower, some don't have a toilet, and some have full bathrooms.

For what it's worth, I would choose the cabin hands-down over the lodge.

MichelleY Mar 28th, 2007 08:53 AM

NewB is correct. Two years ago, DH, DD & I stayed at Bright Angel. Since the cabin only would accomodate 2, DD & I stayed in the cabin, and DH in the lodge. His room had a toilet & sink, with a shower down the hall. I believe there was a TV. Our cabin had a full bath and a TV. The lodge and cabins are all next to each other, next to the rim.

gail Mar 28th, 2007 09:49 AM

There is a main building with a variety of room types - the "lodge". It also includes restaurant, check-in desk, etc.

A very short walk away is a collection of cabins - most have 2 sides with a door that can be opened inside between the 2 units (think adjoining hotel rooms where both rooms have to open connecting door between to access) - but they are rented totally separate, with separate entrance, bathrooms.

There are walking paths separating the cabins and some have view of
Rim - although this is likely to be noisier and often there are people on the path blocking the view. All cabins have huge windows and are simple and rustic but clean and everything works. Ours had 1 queen size bed, bureau, desk, TV that got no channels and small bathroom with sink, toilet, shower. We had adjoining side of cabin as well which was a little bigger, same bedding, but had room to hold a rollaway bed.

Myer Mar 28th, 2007 11:58 AM

Thank you Newbie et al.

I had already given up my showerless room in favor of the cabin. I just wanted to know if I did the right thing.

I believe I did.

I'm not concerned with people blocking the view. I'll only be there one night and don't expect to see the worthwhile views from the room.

Thanks again.