Gaylord Texas Resort - Grapevine, TX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A HUGE THANKS to all you Fodor friends for suggesting we stay there! It's a FANTASTIC resort! My family (2 kids ages 11 & 12) and I had a fabulous stay! The resort was so neat!
The entire resort is enclosed under a huge atrium dome. So you have the luxury of outside feel with WONDERFUL A/C. In Dallas area during this time of year, a definite PLUS! It was 100+ degrees while we were there, so I was in heaven under the atrium.
It's location is wonderful, just 1-1/2 miles away from the Grapevine Mills Mall and the Bass Pro Shop.
Our room was very nice. Be sure to request an Atrium View when booking. Our balcony view was terrific!
The staff very curteous and helpful!
I felt the overall layout to be great! They have basically recreated San Antonio's riverwalk atmosphere including a replica of the Alamo along with dancing fountain. We loved all the plants. Was surprised no wildlife with all the plantlife they had.

Great Sports bar called Texan Station. I'm not a sports bar fan, but it was really neat and very family oriented.

We are definitely going back!

Negatives: Parking fee $9/day self park - I think is RIDICULOUS! It's not like it's downtown Dallas. It's a resort off by itself on I don't know how many acres. Like where else are you going to park? That's just a pet peeve of mine! I thought that was cheap of the resort!
They charged a $3/day "Tech Fee". That too should be included in room rates! We NEVER used any computer links, only turned the TV on!
All little shops and restaurant prices were a little pricey, but that's to be expected!
We did eat breakfast Sunday morning at the River Walk Cafe, $16/adults $8/kids for all you can eat breakfast buffet. I felt this was reasonable. But the cutoff time of 11:00 am from breakfast & brunch, the price jumped to$28/person! I felt that price was out of line. But, I must say the food selections were great so maybe to those that are big eaters,$28/adult for brunch is ok.

Another little plug. We spent the day at a waterpark in North Richland Hills called: NRH20. $16/person entry fee. My kids had a blast and it was only about a 15min drive from Gaylord Resort. It's VERY SMALL, but if you have little ones (especially 5yrs old and under), you'll love it! Easy to keep up with your kids and there's actually more for little ones that big kids. They also have a wave pool. You can take in coolers and there's places in shaded areas to set up your picnic spot. If you're interested in more, go to there website www.nrh20.com

Thanks again for your suggestion, you sure made a HOT weekend in Grapevine very enjoyable for my family. My kids loved it!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Glad you had fun! I agree that the parking charge at the Gaylord is nuts...I mean, there is vacant land all around...it's not like you're in midtown Manhattan!

Even though our kids are getting older, we still prefer HRH2O to Hurricane Harbour...the crowd at HH can get a bit rough.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I agree. My son who's 12 was not impressed with NRH2O, but he still had a good time. But, I felt very comfortable there and it was very relaxing for hubby, as he took a nap in a lounger under the shade!

Mom, she rode the rides with my daughter and although we had a good time, I would have preferred the lounger also! HA! Age showing!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Were you in town for the Games of Texas? If not, how did you choose Grapevine?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Yes, my daughter participated in the Games of Texas. It's suppose to be in Waco Texas next year. Bummer! We want to go back to Grapevine!

That entire area surrounding Dallas with all the small suburbs, is a very nice area. Lots of money!

We really enjoyed ourselves!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Very few people in the DFW area even know we hosted the Games of Texas.

My kids are on the swim team (no trips to state for them yet) and folks who went to Waco the last time it was there did not have good things to say about how the meet was run. But, Waco is a bit more centrally located.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

I heard from others who have gone to the Games of Texas in the past, they DID NOT like the games being held in Waco as there was NOT enough lodging available. They ended up staying in a place 1 hr away and not very nice, it was a dump!

Needless to say, I guess I should be glad our initial year experience was great, as I'm not expecting much in the future! It's suppose to be in Waco next year.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:50 PM

As a lifelong resident of Waco and the surrounding area, I am NOT offended by your observations about my hometown. It is really a wonderful place to live, but there is basically nothing to do here. (My excuse to travel! ) At least in Waco, you don't have to worry about driving in heavy traffic, and we DO have gasoline for $1.55 a gallon!

Naturally, I have not stayed at any of the hotels here, but there are several new ones that have opened in the last few years.

There are so many young people in Waco and the surrounding commuities, I've always thought it a shame that the only things to do are go to a movie, the lake, the mall, or play miniature golf. I understand there's now a place at Baylor marina that rents kayaks, and a new dinner/movie theater called Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is scheduled to open before the end of the year.

When and if you come to Waco, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Donna