Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Gatlinburg, TN - Sick of Cabins! Alternatives? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gatlinburg-tn-sick-of-cabins-alternatives-632936/)

claire_bluesky Jul 21st, 2006 11:00 PM

Gatlinburg, TN - Sick of Cabins! Alternatives?

We live in Knoxville and have rented many cabins in both Gatlinburg & P. Forge. We rented the best cabins and they were fabulous, but we always ended up going into Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for most of our meals since I prefer eating out to cooking when my goal is having a good time. We have gotten away from hiking and we have fallen into spending more time hanging out in these lovely cabins with a view. We are visiting in October for the Fall foliage and this trip we plan to liven things up by actually interacting some w/other visitors and doing some hiking.

I'd like to find a luxury two-bedroom suite/chalet/condo perhaps attached to a lodge that has a restaurant. So far, I've found one place: Buckhorn Inn B&B (guesthouses). Has anyone stayed there? If so, how was the restaurant? Any other suggestions? I found condos but not w/a restaurant.

The need for the two bedrooms is to afford my soon-to-be 14 year old daughter (and maybe her best friend) some privacy.

Thanks in advance for any opinion and/or suggestions.

hunterblu Jul 22nd, 2006 04:36 AM

We stayed at the Buckhorn Inn several years ago. It is a nice place, good breakfasts, the only problem we had was that we stayed in the tower room which we came to find out picks up all the noises from the kitchen, which means you wake up and go to sleep to banging pots and pans.

Our favorite B&B in the area is the Richmont Inn, which is in Townsend "the peaceful side of the smokies".

iceeu2 Jul 22nd, 2006 05:49 AM

I don't know about the Buckhorn ( I have seen their website and it intrigued me), but what about the place over in Townsend that the former manager of The Blackberry Farm has now?

Wasn't it the Maple Leaf?

Or, what about one of those hotels on River Road in Gatlinburg?

claire_bluesky Jul 22nd, 2006 04:14 PM

I think Townsend is too close to where we live since we're in Knoxville. I think we'd like to get a little further from home. It's about 1/2 hour from here.

The Dancing Bear Lodge (Maple Leaf) is a lot like the Buckhorn (gorgeous w/2 bdrms), but we prefer to be closer to the trails we are planning to hike, i.e., Chimney Tops. I'm not sure how crowded the trails will be, but we plan to get up and hike early a couple of days.

The Richmont looks really nice, but it is also in Townsend. Although I'm planning to stay closer in, I'm hoping we'll still find some peace. :-)

Thanks

iceeu2 Jul 22nd, 2006 04:47 PM

Pardon me.

claire_bluesky Jul 22nd, 2006 09:22 PM

Hey, I was teasing! The smily face didn't give me away? I guess it got lost in translation.

Just in case, thanks again for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

I made a reservation. I got nervous because while I was still looking around, every Buckhorn room, cottage & guesthouse got reserved. (I've only been looking about three days.) We are going for three nights during school Fall break, and I got the last place and days available. It's the Bebb guesthouse. I was wondering if you noticed the guesthouses while you were at the inn. Did you have a nice view of the mountains? I hope we do. The grounds also look very nice. Did you do their hike? I hope I made a good choice since I felt pressured by time. I wanted to stay in a guesthouse, but I had to reserve different days since they were the only days left.

Thanks in advance.