Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge: where to stay with toddler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to the Smoky Mountains with our 2 year old and are not sure where to stay. We're torn between a quiet cabin in the woods or a hotel with an indoor swimming pool. Also, any easy hikes to great waterfalls recommended? Thanks!
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 07:53 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
This would be a good choice - http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/...30FBFD35.etc73
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 08:11 AM

We stayed at the Sidney James Mountain lodge in Gatlinburg.Your next to the historic nature trail.Great.You can stop at all the sites and it only takes a short walk to visit the farms etc...Paul
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 08:14 AM

Laurel Falls is a popular and pretty easy trail (it's been awhile, but if I remember correctly it's at least partially paved). Abrams Falls is another popular hike, but it's a bit harder. Still not strenuous, but more taxing than Laurel.

As far as where to stay, it really depends on what you plan to spend most of your time doing. If you plan to be mostly outdoors in the park, the cabin makes sense. There are hundreds to choose from, and many threads here about them if you do a search. If you plan to spend a lot of time in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge (outlet shopping, the aquarium, restaurants, etc), you probably want to stay in town. Personally I'd pick Gatlinburg because you can more easily walk to things on the parkway once you're parked at your hotel. Pigeon Forge is more of a driving town.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Kris, I live here in the Wears Valley area. I would always pick a cabin over a motel. It gives you space to spread out and really enjoy the mountains. You can check out my cabin at www.vrbo.com/147175. Also as far as waterfall hikes go, the one to Laurel Falls in the park is actually paved, so you could take a stroller on it. That is the only one that I know of that you could take a stroller. Otherwise, somebody is going to have to be carried. Have a wonderful and great time as you enjoy the Smokies.