Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Gatlinburg First Timer (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gatlinburg-first-timer-268989/)

True Oct 28th, 2002 07:37 AM

Gatlinburg First Timer

Hello. I am thinking about going to Gatlinburg from Dec. 26- Jan. 1. Is this time too crowded? I bet it is. Other than skiing, can one hike, snowshoe, sled? What else is there to do in Gatlinburg other than ski? Is a car necessary? Are there shuttles traveling from the Knoxville airport into Gatlinburg hotels. I need all of the advice I can get. If Gatlinburg is too crowded, any advice on other east coast winter wonderlands? Thanks much.<BR><BR>True

anon Oct 28th, 2002 08:27 AM

I've heard the Ice Festival in Pigeon Forge is spactacular!

Paul Oct 28th, 2002 09:30 AM

Cabs are waiting outside the Knoxville airport to take you to Gatlinburg. Plan on a $50 fare, one way. I have not been to Gatlinburg in the winter. I do know that it is not typical for them to receive much snow - about three snowfalls per year.<BR><BR>Happy Trails,<BR>Paul

Lianna Oct 28th, 2002 10:04 AM

I go there 3 to 4 times a year..or have gone that much in the past two years. Just came from there. go to www.tnvacation.com...enter the words Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg separately in search engines...you'll love it there. VERY crowded though. LOTS to do...

danna Oct 28th, 2002 10:40 AM

I don't ski, so can't help you there. But just in case you don't know...Gatlinburg is a year round destination for folks who like big crowds, hot rods cruising main street, fudge shops and knick-knack stores, outlet malls and Dollywood.

TennesseNative Oct 28th, 2002 11:48 AM

Hi True,<BR>My family and I have been to Gatlinburg more time that we can count. And it is very nice. I can tell you that December is a very crowded month. There are typical tourist traps along the &quot;strip&quot; in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. But the main things to do during this time of year is ski and hike. Hiking is what we do most when we are there.<BR><BR>I would also recommed getting a car. You will need it to reach all the starting points to hike in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. There is a visitors center when you enter and the representatives there will recommed trails based on you experience. They range from short .5 mile hikes to long weekend hikes in which you can camp in the Park. There are shuttles both from the airport and from the chalets most people rent that take you to the tourist areas, but none to take you to the hiking spots. Also, you can take snowshoes or cross-country skis with you on the hiking trails if snow is on the ground. There is plenty of snow in Ober Gatlinburg, the little ski village at the top of the mountain because they use snow machines at that time of year. But in Tennesse, we typically don't get much snow until late January or February. It's just cold! Of coarse cold is relative depending on where you are from. I would also recommed getting a chalet in the mountains. Hotels are scare and dumpy. Even the best hotel is run down. Plus with a chalet you have all the comforts of home including a fireplace, hot tub, and most importantly, a beautiful view of the mountains in the winter.<BR><BR>But I can make some recommendations on what to see and what to avoid(i.e. Tourist Traps)<BR><BR>1. Avoid stuff like Ripley's Believe it or Not.<BR>2. Avoid the hotels.<BR>3. Hike, it's the best thing to do in the Great Smokey Mountains.<BR>4. Visit Ober Gatlinburg, the ski village. You can take a tram up the mountain for pennies to get to it.<BR>5. Visit Ripley's Aquarium. It is very good, especially for kids!<BR>6. Eat at the Pancake Pantry on the strip in Gatlinburg. It is the best breakfast there.<BR><BR>Most of all sit back and enjoy nature. Hope you enjoy your visit to the Great Smokey Mountains!

true Oct 28th, 2002 02:37 PM

Tennessee Native,<BR><BR>Thanks for the great advice. Will there be no snow in the Smoky Mountains? I love to hike. Tell me more about hiking. I just recently went to Colorado and hiked in the snow at Mount Evans. It was awesome. More advice? Thanks again.<BR><BR>True

TennesseNative Oct 30th, 2002 10:41 AM

True,<BR>There are litterally hundred of hiking trails in the Smokies. Some easy day hikes and some overnighters. Black bears are numerous and you stand a good chance at seeing one. But don't let their cutness fool you. I've never seen them on a hike, but I have seen many footprints and &quot;slidings&quot; where they have played. I have seen them while driving through the smokes however. The Park has built little shleters you can stay in overnight on certain trails to protect you from the bears. They are small 8x10(approximately) log structures with a steel gate on the front that locks. You'll still need your hiking gear and will need to suspend your food (sealed in airtight containers so not to attract bears)from a tree limb away from your campsite, but the structure offers protection while you sleep. There are beautiful waterfalls, valleys, mountains and other scenery depending on what trail you choose. But inquire at the visitor center before hiking. Some may be closed for various reasons. They will also tell you where recent bear sightings have been. They also usually post signs at the entrance of certain trails in which bears have been encountered recently. I usually take Bear Mace with me just in case. I bought mine from Bass Pro Shop in Nashville but I'm sure you can find it other places. I'm not sure what resouces you can use to find out more, but try contacting the Great Smokey Mountain National Park.<BR><BR>As far as the snow, you will have it in Ober Gatlinburg, but it will depend on the weather as to how much. They use snow machines during that time of year to supplement the snow. They also have an ice skating ring at the bottom of the slops. You can also rent cabins in that area that look over the slopes if you don't choose a cabin in the &quot;lower&quot; part of the mountain. But take my advice, avoid the hotels and motels..they are ALL very trashy.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.