Gatlinburg/Cades Cove - Where to stay?

Old May 12th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Gatlinburg/Cades Cove - Where to stay?

Hi all,

I know lots of people hate Gatlinburg but on my upcoming trip to the US I reckon we will probably end up staying there on our way from Nashville and before we get to Ashville. A lot of the motels are names that I've never heard of, so I would like to know if anyone has any to recommend. I think we would prefer to stay in a motel rather than a cabin which might be isolated. Are there accommodations in Cades Cove - would we be better to stay there?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! Laura
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:26 AM

There are no hotels in Cades Cove...it is asection of the park...a good destination. although somewhat crowded on certain days. The only accomodations you'll find around Cades Cove are cabins. There is a small town near Cades Cove called Townsend, which is less congested than Gatlinburg. You might try there, if you want to stay near there.

There are a few chains, but most of the hotels in Gatlinburg are indepentantly owned as they were in the 50s and 60s. There are way too many to go into detail here. Perhaps you should post the ones that you are considering and we can tell you the pros and cons.

Personally...one the side closest to the park, try Clarion or Bearskin Lodge.

In the Airport Road area, the Park Vista and Holiday Inn (both these are far from "the action"
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about Townsend. Regarding the motels in Gatlinburg - it's hard to pick any particular one - they all seem much of a muchness and there seems to be so many!

Laura
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:47 PM
iceeu2

What time of the year are you going? If you want out of the hustle bustle of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge......Townsend is a beautiful little place in the Smokies...If you can spend a really big chunk of change check out The Blackberry Farm in Walland, Tennessee (near Townsend). In Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge you have your regular chain hotels - Fairfield, Holiday Inn, Red Roof, Microtel, Econolodge, Hampton, etc.....which are ok places to stay or there are tons of privately owned places....
Have fun, people can say what they want, but I love Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Townsend.....Have fun!

Old May 13th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

I leave on Saturday - will head for Nashville and leave there on Wed, 21 May, so will be in Gatlinburg after that. Have Memorial Day weekend booked in Asheville. Cannot wait now!!
Thanks, Laura
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:06 AM
iceeu2

If you are only going to be in Gatlinburg on Wednesday and Thursday nights, you should have no problem going up without a reservation. People won't be coming in for the holiday until Friday night and you will be in Asheville already. Innkeepers are more than happy to let you go look at the rooms before renting if they have availability. You can stay right on the parkway or right on the river and still walk all over the place. If you are a breakfast lover, go to The Burning Bush and have one of their bountiful breakfasts. Have fun, we will not see you there because we don't go until Friday the 23rd!!

Old May 13th, 2003, 03:53 PM
iceeu2

topping for lauradublin

Old May 13th, 2003, 07:34 PM

The last time I visited Cades Cove, I stayed in a motel located in Townsend.
Good access to the Cove from there.
I suggest a fairly early start, and don't go on a weekend if you can. The drive gets very slow.