Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Gas availability I95 Boston to Georgia (and is there a website that keeps track of this sort of thing)

Search

Gas availability I95 Boston to Georgia (and is there a website that keeps track of this sort of thing)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried to find info on AAA website, but kept getting diverted to local AAA site - I had heard AAA had info on this, but I must be doing something wrong!

Husband and son driving Boston-Savannah in 2 days. We are assuming gas on Garden State Parkway and NJ Turnpike will be expensive but available - same expectation for Wash/Baltimore area. Most concerned about south of Richmond. Any info, good guesses, etc.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:49 AM

I've driven the northern half of your route a few times -- most recently, last week -- and found the prices on those NJ highway stops to be the most reasonable of all the locations I encountered, with the exception of small secondary roads in NJ. Also, NJ has no self-serve stations, which I personally consider a bonus.

If you are being forced to a local AAA, try clearing your cache and cookies, then go to aaa.com and pretend you live in a VA ZIP code.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Georgians panicked about a gas shortage right after the hurricane due to major pipelines being down. Those lines provide gas up along the coast to Virginia. The pipelines are operating again, though perhaps not a full capacity.

The panic has subsided here in Georgia and all of the gas stations are open again and without lines as of this morning. We survived the holiday weekend without a gas crisis. In Atlanta, gas is around 3.00 per gallon.

I think you husband and son will be fine.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:50 AM

my sister in law drove from florida to new jersey over the weekend and not only had no problems getting gas, the prices were lower than what we were paying well off of 95.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance - they will take obvious precautions of not letting car run to near E before they refuel. Son will then be keeping car in Savannah at school - it will then be up to him not to run out of gas!