Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Garment District (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/garment-district-195060/)

Jose A Oct 7th, 2001 11:40 AM

Garment District

My fiance would like to buy her wedding dress in New York. Any nice hotels in the Garment District or any tips where to go?

Caitlin Oct 7th, 2001 01:21 PM

Definitely no nice hotels in the garment district, which is pretty much a commercial area only. But if you want to be nearby, any hotel in midtown west in general or the Times Square area will bw but a hop away. I can't offer personal recommendations, but here is a URL for a site with pretty exhaustive lists of wedding gown makers and sellers in Manhattan, plus plenty of tips for finding what you want in New York. Good luck to your fiancee and yourself!

rqf Oct 7th, 2001 05:17 PM

There are a number of bridal shops from 38th to 40th Street. The greatest concentration of shops in on W. 38th. There are at least 7. A hotel very convenient to these shops in the Hilton Times Square located on W. 41st Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue. This is a new hotel and one entrance takes you to W. 42nd St.

John G Oct 7th, 2001 10:04 PM

The Peninsula is near the GD. It is very expensive, however. The last time I stayed there, Lee Radziwill was on the elevator with me. I, personally, would go to Bergdorf Goodman for my wedding dress, but many Jewish women I know go to Loehmann's for theirs.

RQF Oct 8th, 2001 12:08 PM

The term "near" is relative. The Penisula is certainly expensive but it is not near the garment district. It is just about one mile north and east. There are at least 10 hotels closer ranging from 2 blocks to 10 blocks. They are not on the level of the Penisula but certainly more convenient. These include Hilton Times Sqaure, Broadway Millenium, Casablanca, Marriott Marquis, Renaissance, Edison, Muse, Algonquin, GRand Hyatt and Crowne Plaza. There are others. I am not sure if the remark "many Jewish women I know go to Loehmann's for theirs" has any special significance but, at any rate, there isn't a Loehmann's anywhere near the garment district. The closest one is miles away in the Bronx.

Frank Oct 8th, 2001 01:11 PM

I agree that the Peninsula isn't "near" the Garment District, but there is a Loehmann's on 7th Avenue and 16th Street.

Phil Oct 8th, 2001 01:16 PM

Jose, <BR>There several hotels on Park Avenue South that are within walking distance of the Garment District. I wouldn't use that area as my only choice. Normally, it is very easy to get around by Subway and many lines run through the area. Stay where you like a take a subway. <BR> <BR>Because of the WTC disaster, many New York hotels are offering some great deals. Check those first. <BR> <BR>FYI, my wife got her wedding dress at Saks. It was orginally $2,000 and she was able to buy it for $500.

Caitlin Oct 8th, 2001 01:40 PM

And, if you're interested, the number one bridal dress destination in NYC is Kleinfeld in Brooklyn, www.kleinfeldbridal.com.

nychick Oct 8th, 2001 06:28 PM

PLEASE!!! do not go to Kleinfelds. i grew up in NY, still live here, and know many people who have gone there and gotten treated really rudely, and many others who bought their dresses there and had nightmares with alterations. <BR> <BR>steer clear of kleinfelds..don't believe the hype.

xxx Oct 8th, 2001 06:39 PM

I second the stay away from Kleinfeld's. Since it was taken over by new owners their reputation has become a bit tarnished. A friend went there for a wedding gown. Picked out a fabric that was described as being 100% silk. When checked using the acetone test part of the fabric dissolved leading the tester to suggest the fabric was probably a mixture of silk and acetate. When my friend confronted the salesperson, the salesperson said she made a mistake and had given my friend the wrong fabric. When you are going to pay more than $1000 for a wedding gown and something like this happens it is best you shop elsewhere.

lisa Oct 9th, 2001 07:59 AM

Jose -- I'll leave it to the others to suggest hotels since it sounds like you've gotten lots of good recommendations. <BR> <BR>As for where to buy a gown, that depends on what kind of gown your fiancee wants and how much she's willing to spend. There are lots of places in the Garment District. She might also try RK Bridal (which has a website, too). These will give you lower-priced gowns (say in the up to $1500 range). <BR> <BR>Kleinfeld's is a HUGE place, but I think their gowns start at $1500 or so (if you call, they'll tell you). I don't know anything about the service. They offer free car service from Manhattan. <BR> <BR>For higher-end gowns, the stores are really scattered all over. There is Wearkstaat in SoHo; Vera Wang, Yumi Katsura, Clea Colet on the Upper East Side; Michelle Roth on W 57th Street; and, of course, Saks. Saks has a much smaller selection than many and can be quite pricey. Depending on when you come, however, they have great sample sales. Like another poster, I got my gown there at a sample sale (day after Christmas), regularly $3500 and got it for $650. Keep in mind that you carry it out that day and there are no alterations. <BR> <BR>At all of these places (except a sample sale) you will need an appointment. Good luck to you!