Search

Garden view at Grand Hyatt Kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 04:49 AM
e2
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garden view at Grand Hyatt Kauai?

Planning a week vacation in January with 2 and 4 year olds, and have pretty much decided we want to finally spring for the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Does anyone have enough experience with the property to know if we just go for the standard garden view do we risk looking out at a parking lot or trashbin? I think I can deal with no ocean view, but I could not deal with an ugly view. We don't mind a bit of a walk to restaurants, etc.

We don't have much status with Hyatt so we can't count on an upgrade. We can also book the best we can for now and then will watch for any specials between now and then -- it appears that no one is discounting anything after 12/08 at this point.

My last several vacations I've insisted on ocean view, but I'd really like to try this property, and to pay for ocean view we start to get pretty close to the rates at Four Seasons on the Big Island!

thank you!
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 05:54 AM

Your kids will love the pool at the Hyatt, so will you. It is a wonderful property.

A garden view ... think of looking towards the ocean and turn around ... we did the garden view one year and had a great view of the mountains and our rental car. Then there is ocean view (we leaned out and could see the ocean from the lanai) vs ocean front .... we are ocean front people .... the reason we go to Hawai is the ocean.

I wish resorts would provide a map of the property so you would know just where your room was.

Have you thought about phoning the Hyatt and asking? I would. But then DH says I am pushy.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 06:27 AM

Twice we've had Hyatt's Garden View rooms (one Standard, one Royal Garden) and had glimpses of water both times. Our rooms overlooked the tropical gardens and upper pool area, with lower pools, palms and lagoon in the distance. Definitely felt the Hawaiian ambiance and loved our stays. Royal Garden room was on higher level with lanai, our Standard Garden room had ground level patio, opened to lawns, swing etc. Thought it would be handy for families with kids.

I think Mountain Vew rooms overlook the parking lot which I wouldn't have liked personally. Since you're staying a week, you could apply for Gold Passport membership and may get an upgrade, or at least lots of points.

I'd probably love this resort regardless of room but meals can be expensive. Last year our rate included the extensive buffet breakfast (was a AAA Special rate) which I'd highly recommend. Don't know when you're going in January but there's often a lull in Hawaii in early Jan after the hectic Christmas Break where there can be specials/more availability.

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:21 AM

The wing ( south) next to the pools is noisy for an oceanview, I thought. I would chose a Garden View if you were getting that wing.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM

I just checked out of the Hyatt yesterday. Our garden view room was very nice and overlooked the upper pool area. I asked for a room convenient to the pool as I have slight mobility problems. The room was perfect. Up one floor from lobby and up two floors from pool entrance. Elevator just down the hall. Room had 1 queen and 1 double bed. Our AAA rate included the breakfast buffet. Ate lots and only needed one other meal. The hotel did not seem all that crowded for peak family summer travel time. It appears that high air fares and other financial pressures are having an impact. We were able to check in early and stay late. No lines for pool slide or for breakfast. I would reserve now, but check back for great deals closer to arrival if occupancy remains low. We were at the Grand Wailea last year. The older kids thought it was more exciting, but I much preferred the ambiance of the Hyatt. It will be perfect for your small children...and for you, too!
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM

We've been to this hotel twice (you will LOVE it) and had the cheapest room category both times. The first year we were very lucky and they upgradeded to a full ocean view. The second year we weren't and we had a view of the front of the hotel, the parking lot, grounds, etc...Of course I preferred the ocean view, but honestly, the rooms were exactly the same, and we spent so much time on the beach and in the pools that we were only in the room to sleep and change, shower, nap, etc....
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:38 AM

The GH is a wonderful property and garden view sholdn't be too bad. They've got mature plantings between the hotel and the parking lot. Consider a lower floor so you don't see the parking lot. In the event you hate your view, you can always ask to be changed. Sometimes my DW goes up to look at the room before we bring the luggage up, then she calls down and gives me the thumbs up or down. Enjoy.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 09:35 AM

We have stayed at the Grand Hyatt Kauai 3 times now. First visit booked the ocean view room... nice but not worth the hundreds of dollars more as it wasn't oceanfront. Second and third time garden and mountain view. In my opinion, the mountain view room was the nicest as far as quiet goes.. We had a parking lot in front of us, but was a ways off and had a big hedge that kind of separated it. It was nice in the morning to sit on our lanai and have the peace and quiet that you don't get when your near the pool areas, which can get very noisy when busy. As far as upgrades go, we have a gold passport and the only way we could of got this was paying extra. I guess some people are just lucky to get them...
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Stayed in an ocean-view club-level room and the view didn't really get much of the ocean. It did, however, get a great deal of noise from two weddings practically under the window, and one large convention "concert" with amplifiers, etc. I would not pay the extra money for an oceanview, especially as it came with a great deal of noise.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM

At the hyatt, I prefer the ocean view (shipwrecks on other side of the slide) but this last weekend we had to take a ground garden view near the adult pool. It was too close to ped traffic, people can see inside your room. The hammock outside our room was used as a swing for kids. Also, there was a cig butt-can close by and people walked around smoking. When I asked, I was told so long they were 20ft away from any building or structure, they can smoke on the property - the hotel should change that btw. Twenty ft is not far enough, especially if I just quit not long ago. We could’ve changed to a 3rd level, same view but it was only for one night so we didn’t bother. We saw Will Smith and Jada Pinkett there and as crowded as the hotel seemed this last weekend, no one bothered them that I noticed.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM

kauai_aka, Congrats on quitting smoking! Thats great! =D>
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM

k-aka

iamq is just sucking up because he wants to be invited to a fish fry at Polihale! he's a jealous buggah!

Little does he know, he actually has to leave the NS to attend!

Keep up the hard work and celebrate being a non smoker. I was a smoker for too many years. I am now a non smoker. Focusing on that helped me. Good for you!!!!!

e2 - The kids and you will love the Hyatt. Go for the garden room and remember, if it is not to your liking , ask what other rooms in that category are available. I have never done this, but will if I find it necessary!

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM

"iamq is just sucking up because he wants to be invited to a fish fry at Polihale! he's a jealous buggah!"

Is it that obvious? Darn!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
iceeu2

So e2 what have you decided?

I would like to go to a fish fry at Polihale, but I missed my invite also.

Oh well, will just have to go to Lyndgate with the TA bunch!