Garden of the Gods

Mar 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Garden of the Gods

I was reading an article on a site about Garden of the Gods.

http://ecountrylifestyle.com/categor...gazine_id%3D15

Sometimes when you get to a place, it seems lack-luster compared to what you've read or been told. Garden of the Gods looks nice from what I see here, what is it like in relation to Arches park or the CO. National Monument? Does anyone know? This is not the direction I usually head, as it is out of the way for my visits out West & Northwest, but am wondering if it is a good investment of time to detour that way. Thanks!

B Cool
Mar 5th, 2009, 07:47 AM

We were underwhelmed when visiting the site a few years ago. It certainly can't compare with Arches or other national sites in the Rocky Mountain area.
Mar 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM

And here I thought you were talking about Lanai, HI. It was pure skill and a little 'divine intervention' that kept me from tipping that jeep at the Garden of the Gods, Lanai! LOL
Mar 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM

It's worthwhile if you're in the area. But agree with Howard. We've been twice (several years apart) and it's underwhelming. IMO it's not worth a major trip/detour just to see it.
Mar 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Definitely not worth the detour as there is no comparison to Arches. I live about an hour north of Garden of the Gods and have only visited twice. We were in the area last summer so we did the drive which probably took no more than 20 minutes. It was scenic, but it was crowded so we didn't feel like stopping for a hike. On the other hand I'd drive to Moab in a heartbeat, since we can spend days exploring Arches.
Mar 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I'm glad that I posted. I was previously convinced that I was going to see several comments on how the trip was worth it's weight. I know that Arches is excellent, perhaps I will bike the white rim trail, Canyonlands, UT instead.

Really appreciate everyones feedback!

B Cool,
Mar 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM

I live in Colorado Springs, and I'd agree that, while the drive through the park is certainly spectacular, it doesn't take too long to see it all. There's a nice, touristy gift shop that many enjoy for browsing souvenirs and light refreshments. You can park and hike in the park, but be alert for rattlesnakes! Rock climbing is prohibited. It's well worth seeing, but I don't think I'd drive many miles out of my way to do so.