February (cold) weekend in Chicago!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all you helpful Fodorites, I know there have been many posts about winter activities in Chicago & I have spent hours reading them but still need help. We are trying to decide if a weekend trip to Chicago (Feb16th-18th) is worth it. We will have from Friday late afternoon through Sunday afternoon. I am not very comfortable with walking or any outdoor activities in the cold. We will be with 2 teenage kids so art museums etc are not high on our list. I cannot tell which activities are available in the winter. Is the Millenium Park open? What about any architectural tours, we were quite struck with the diverse Chicago architecture when we were there a few years ago. I think my daughter would like the build my own handbag option mentioned in another post, does anyone know how expensive that is? Are there any home related things to see, different art galleries, furniture stores etc? I did consider Wicked but am not sure if the two guys would enjoy it & that'a a lot of money wasted if they don't.
Another problem is that I wanted to book our hotel on Priceline so I'm not sure how convenient the location will be. Some hotels seem to be connected to shopping etc.Checking on bidding for travel, seems like the Intercontinental (NMA)& the Hyatt (MP area) are the most likely 4 star hotels. They are both in different zones so which one should I try first? Or if anyone knows of any moderately priced hotels with very convenient locations please jump in. We do enjoy the indoor pool & a health cluIn case of inclement weather) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Help, if I cannot make a good enough case, the guys are going to veto the trip! Thanks.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM
dgg

If you don't like walking or being outside in the cold and you aren't excited about museums or theater, I guess you could shop. Much of the architectural sightseeing is by boat (in warmer months) or walking tour. Do you have to go in February?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM

The Chicago Auto Show will be Feb 9-18 at McCormick Place. It's been a few years since I've been, but it can be fun imagining yourself slipping behind the wheel of a Silver Phantom or Ferrari.

The architecture foundation offers a number of tours through the year. Some focus on one building like Field's/Macy's on State or the Auditorium BUilding. Other's encompass a neighborhood or architectural style. Check their schedules at www.architecture.org.

If you're not interested in the Art Institute, the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum (Natural History) and Adler Planetarium are at the south edge of downtown and the Museum of Science and Industry is easily accessible by public transit.

The MSI's U-505 German submarine exhibit reopened last fall and Body Worlds 2 runs Jan 17-Apr 29. Their site is www.msichicago.org.

If you don't think Wicked will work, there are several other theatre possibilities, Blue Man Group is at the Briar Street Theatre and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is at Drury Lane Water Tower. Check www.chicagoplays.com to see other possibilities.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:33 AM
GoTravel

If there is a citywide show while you are going to be in town, forget priceline. Also, you'd need two priceline rooms.

To be honest, with your limitations, I'd scrap the trip.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM
GoTravel

Forgot to add that I just spent a blustery weather weekend in Chicago and my highlights are what you are trying to avoid.

It was a complete rush being out walking around in the snow and bitter cold.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM

I would also suggest putting off a trip to our fine city if you are trying to avoid the cold and outdoor activities.

Springtime in Chicago is lovely....